restraining order? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > restraining order?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I don't live in your state but here, they are called PPO's (personal protection orders). They are almost always issued ex parte without a hearing ( judge only hears one side of the case). The judge may prohibit the respondent from purchasing or possessing a firearm. It may be a federal issue if the Brady Law firearm prohibitions exist (PPO issued due to domestic violence). Store your guns elsewhere so you do not have possession of them. If the PPO was issued ex parte, you should have a right to challenge it. PPO's are almost worthless. A piece of paper will not stop someone from harming you. The ones it does stop are usually the ones who would be nice if you asked them to. Here they are used as instant eviction notices. I had an officer I worked with go on suspension as his neighbor got a judge to issue a PPO against him and no firearms was one of the conditions. I read a PPO deposition was that a woman felt threatened because a co worker asked her out on a date in the parking lot and that scared her. I had to tell him he had to find another job or contest it because he was now prohibited from his workplace as long as she was there. And, I work with another officer who was shot in the head while investigating a prowler who was actually an estranged husband trying to kill his wife after driving half way across the USA and violating the PPO! I still don't have a good answer on why PPO's are legal. A judge who issues them near where I work said they are legal. She didn't buy the constitutional rights argument. The respondent looses his/her rights when he/she threatens, stalks, beats, or harasses the petitioner. I'm off my soapbox now. Appeal the protection order and store the guns out of your possession until the order is gone. If you lose the appeal, you still don't have to sell the guns. Wait the order out as most are only 6-12 months long. Some people piss the judges off and it becomes much longer!

Like others have said. Get an attorney to get the best advise and results.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Good question. It may be worth a consult fee with an attorney.

Also, why would they issue an order AGAINST you when you were a witness against a suspect? Does not compute, but it is N.J. lol
the person thought the restraining order would stop me from being a witness and it was her way of paying me back

Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #13

also in nj you don't have to do anything all the person has to say is she's afraid of you and 90% of the time they win. but my to?s are does my friend I gave the one gun to get to keep it? and the second if I can't find on of the guns what does the cops do about that?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

why do people not consult with experienced and competent attorney's when they get into a bind?

GO GET AN ATTORNEY, preferably one that is 2A savvy.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #15

Liked 188 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 56

One way to get legal advice or help is to call your local bar association and get a consultation with a local lawyer. I did this a few months ago and it cost me $35 for the consultation. Problem solved shortly thereafter.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my best suggestion is the same as others. get an attorney, a good one!

going on a forum looking for legal advice usually will get you either in more trouble, or it's usaully worth exactly what you pay for it!

the best legal advice is get an attorney and the faster the better.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #17

yes I went to lawyer and its a$5000 retainer because how tough these laws are in nj and its hard to prove somebody is afraid of you.I just was wondering if anybody could answer those 2 ?'s

Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #18

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdagger
the person thought the restraining order would stop me from being a witness and it was her way of paying me back
Did you go to court about the restraining order.?? A restraining order is a two step process. First step is a ten day temporary restraining order and then the second step to make it final/permanent the judge has to go over the evidence.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8278 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

$5000 may seem like a lot of money but when you compare that to what you would be paying if you are found in possession of a firearm I believe you would take the $5000 expense rather quickly.

Shop around for a 2A savvy attorney. Sometimes you can find one who can help you out for a lot less than $5000. Here in CA we have the Calguns Federation. Maybe there is something similar in NJ that can direct you to a lawyer in NJ?

Get a lawyer!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm no lawyer but I play one on TV...... Ok it was a high school play......... Ok it was in my friends backyard and we were 11......ok it was yesterday... But I digress go get a real lawyer. One of those fancy ones that went to an actual college and wear suits and junk. As tempting as it is to trust the guy in the leather suit and snake skin boots, don't. That only works in movies.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

c3shooter Likes This