Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   restraining order? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/restraining-order-97731/)

darkdagger 09-27-2013 07:13 PM

restraining order?

I've had and owned guns for over 20 years. I've also never been in trouble with the law, and severed my country in the military. anyway I testified against somebody in a child abuse case and that person for a restraining order on me. now I can't own guns anymore. my ?'s are I gave two of my guns to a friend months ago because I owed him money, he never transferred then into his name because I keep most of my guns in his safe because we shoot together all the time. now will he be able to keep those guns? and second ? is what happens if I can't find one of the guns? I've moved around Alot but can't locate it. I've already handed over all the ones where I live.

MisterMcCool 09-27-2013 07:26 PM

In what state? Do you and your friend reside in the SAME state?

darkdagger 09-27-2013 08:13 PM

I'm sorry it's nj

winds-of-change 09-27-2013 08:16 PM

Will you ever be able to get your guns back when the restraining order expires?

FrontierTCB 09-27-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Will you ever be able to get your guns back when the restraining order expires?

Good question. It may be worth a consult fee with an attorney.

Also, why would they issue an order AGAINST you when you were a witness against a suspect? Does not compute, but it is N.J. lol

danf_fl 09-27-2013 08:21 PM

The legal advice sought in an open forum is worth every penny you pay for.

gr8oldguy 09-27-2013 08:22 PM

There's more to this story than you testifying against someone in a court of law.

c3shooter 09-27-2013 08:22 PM

Not to give you a short answer- but YOU need a LAWYER with a license to practice in YOUR state.

There are 50 states, and 51 sets of gun laws. An answer that would be accurate in Virginia will be GUARANTEED wrong in New Jersey.

In most of the US there is (despite popular belief) no registration of ordinary firearms. When you bought it from a dealer, that did not trigger registration with some Federal agency.

A person that has lost the right to possess arms may still legally OWN them- they may not possess them. There is a legal difference. Such as person may sell or give a firearm to another, so long as THAT person is able to legally possess a gun. If transferring ownership across a state line, it must go TO a Dealer in the home state of the recipient.

Now, go talk to a lawyer.

JTJ 09-27-2013 08:27 PM

C3 is right. Find a very aggressive attorney and try to get the order rescinded. Also sue the snot out of the person that put the restraining order against you. Make them pay for infringing your civil rights.

Overkill0084 09-27-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

i've had and owned guns for over 20 years. I've also never been in trouble with the law, and severed my country in the military. anyway I testified against somebody in a child abuse case and that person for a restraining order on me. now I can't own guns anymore. Are you accused of a crime? What is the scope of the RO? That sounds a bit extreme. I'm guessing this is some form of RO harassment?
my ?'s are I gave two of my guns to a friend months ago because I owed him money, he never transferred then into his name because I keep most of my guns in his safe because we shoot together all the time. now will he be able to keep those guns? and second? is what happens if I can't find one of the guns?
I've moved around A lot but can't locate it. I've already handed over all the ones where I live.
Call a lawyer. It sounds like you are getting it without lube. Your rights are no small matter and this needs to be handled correctly.