Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > In response to "some of us were born in 1956"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I was born in '56 and I've raised two great, hard working and responsible kids. They're both now in their 30's and in turn are raising great kids of their own. Axxe hit the nail on the head when he said that kids are a product of their environment. I always tried to instill a sense of responsibility in my kids and made sure they knew there were consequences for their actions, both good and bad. Saying that today's younger generation are a bunch of bums paints way to broad of a stroke. I come from rural America and most of the young folk around here are hard working, respectful and just all around good people. Of course there are always going to be a few bad eggs but every generation has those. We called 'em hoods back when I was a kid, but it goes back a lot farther than that. And I also expect location has a lot to with what you are or aren't experiencing with young people.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6761 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Guess I fall into old dudes description. I'm 24 so I must be worthless......

Douchebag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Yep. Married, have child, three vehicles, our own place about to buy a house. Nice things, only debt is one car payment..... Ya, I'm worthless.
Who said you were worthless? I admire your work ethic and your dedication to your family immensely. You are awesome!

Let me also add, I rarely, if ever, physically disciplined my kids. By discipline, I hope no one means hitting or 'whuppin'.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5202 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 4434

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Who said you were worthless? I admire your work ethic and your dedication to your family immensely. You are awesome!

Let me also add, I rarely, if ever, physically disciplined my kids. By discipline, I hope no one means hitting or 'whuppin'.
WOC, every child is different. They respond to different measures. Some should never be spanked. Some will respond to nothing else.

A parent has to figure out what works and what doesn't. My son was spanked only 3 or 4 times, and that was when he was a toddler. Nothing else worked. After he started school, it was unnecessary. he responded to removal of privileges.

He's now college educated, a wildlife biologist, taxpayer, homeowner, republican activist and overall a good citizen.

Friend of mine had two boys. The elder responded well to reason and "chewing out." The younger required daily spanking until Jr. high. Both are senior officers in the Air Force today.

Golda Meier.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Friend of mine had two boys. The elder responded well to reason and "chewing out." The younger required daily spanking until Jr. high. Both are senior officers in the Air Force today.[/QUOTE]

Nothing like a crack on the a$$ in the early years.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #15

Liked 319 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 510

I, too, was born in 1956. As for the younger generation: Since the beginning of time the older generation has complained about the laziness, moral corruption, etc. of the younger generation, including our parents. But still, the world and nation seems to keep going.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
I, too, was born in 1956. As for the younger generation: Since the beginning of time the older generation has complained about the laziness, moral corruption, etc. of the younger generation, including our parents. But still, the world and nation seems to keep going.
It's not the going. It's the direction!

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6761 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
WOC, every child is different. They respond to different measures. Some should never be spanked. Some will respond to nothing else.

A parent has to figure out what works and what doesn't. My son was spanked only 3 or 4 times, and that was when he was a toddler. Nothing else worked. After he started school, it was unnecessary. he responded to removal of privileges.

He's now college educated, a wildlife biologist, taxpayer, homeowner, republican activist and overall a good citizen.

Friend of mine had two boys. The elder responded well to reason and "chewing out." The younger required daily spanking until Jr. high. Both are senior officers in the Air Force today.

I agree. My daughter was much more difficult than my two sons put together. ROFL She did get a few spankings. As long as it is dealt with love and tolerance and not become the beatings from an angry parent, it seems reasonable.
People Like This 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #18

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I grew up in a well disciplined home. I can remember almost every whippin I had and I can say I deserved every one I ever got and quite a few I didn't. Other than 2 speeding tickets I've never been in trouble with the law. I am now 24 years old with a wife and a son. I've been through college and will have my mobile home paid for after my taxes come in this year and will start building a home towards the end of next year. I do believe the moral compass of some of my generation points a little bit the wrong way but I do believe as we get older and wiser that will change. That's just my .02 cents though.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 6041

Kids arent bad today, hell, most of the kids were talking about arent even kids anymore! A few phrases remind me how we got to today- "My kids will have it better than I did", "He/ She is not old enough for these types of pressures yet, stop pushing them", "Let them be kids for gods sake" and a few other well meaning thoughts progressive parents have repeated without thinking about what they are saying.

What is a "kid" (other than a young goat)? When I was born in 61, the legal definition was anyone under 18 and some rights of passage could come even earlier with a parents signature. Today, 50 years later- there are 12 or more ages of passage and until your 27, your not considered a full fledged adult. In the 40's, 17 year old servicemen husbands with 14 year old wives fought in wars, had homes and kids before they were even eligible to vote. They were Adults by every measure of the word. Today, our 26 year old "kids" bring their 23 year old pregnant girl friends home to live and Mom ends up raising another generation while Jr tries for his second Associates degree and heads off to spring break!

Actions not ages are the real "rights of passage", once you pass certain benchmarks like creating a baby, you cannot turn back even if your only 15. We knew that 50 years ago but today keep trying to cram Jr or Missy back into the Birth Canal for further gestation," He's not ready yet", (he never will be either...).

For some reason, we dont find it odd that a 17 year old can carry a machine gun in combat but cant buy a pistol when he gets back home. Your old enough to drive a car but not drink a beer. Your not old enough to consent to sex but if you do consent, HIPPA and other protections allow you to get an Abortion without your parents permission or knowledge. The confusing ages of demarcation make sense to nobody, including our clueless "Children, ages 1 to 27 years old"

No immune system starts out strong, it must be tempered and honed via graduated exposure to the dangerous elements. Its a damn cruel world outside of the womb, never has been more so than today. We load them up with rights from every direction but hold off on the responsibilities until we think they are ready. Our reaction to that should be to teach them the hard lessons early and often and stop trying to shelter them from every storm. Nature seems to be making them ready long before Parents believe they are and thats like sending a kid out the door with a shotgun without teaching them the safe, legal and proper use of one!

Im advocating strong parenting not strong arm beatings or mental abuse. Parenting is much like JR Basic Training, thats the safe place to learn about the possible dangers to come. Their are ways to teach lifes lessons and methods of learning that are less than devastating but very strong and effectual. Like My Drill said, you only have one chance to get some things right when games turn to reality! Just one chance, its really just sending them off to play Russian Roulette when we fail to arm them with the hard facts and solutions when its obvious they already have the tools to hurt themselves and others at a younger and younger age.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 02-06-2013 at 09:55 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
If you read Dr. Spock's book and took it seriously, YOU are the problem, not the children that you failed to raise properly.
The son of the noted author, Dr. Spock, committed suicide. Having only read about half of the book myself it didn't fall into what I thought was the proper way to raise my own children.