In response to "some of us were born in 1956"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > In response to "some of us were born in 1956"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 4 Posts

Default In response to "some of us were born in 1956"

I can't profess to know or understand an individuals reasoning when it comes to how pop culture influences their grammar, demeanor, clothing, or the people chosen to be a role model. I do however understand that the role parents play for their children greatly influences the adults they will one day become (provided they make it).

Before placing the burden of blame and our futures on the shoulders of children, lets take a look at their parents and then grandparents for their failures to instill the fundamentals needed to become productive members of society. Then we should consider the environment that an individual grows up in, and I mean the big picture not just the immediate locations.

My point, if it hasn't been deciphered, is that blame is easy to assign. Don't use video games and tv as a babysitter. Pay attention to the trends of music and culture, and challenge them to consider what the meanings (if any) or values (or lack of) are being portrayed. Instead of just saying no ask them why. Understanding how we effect our children and teach them to adapt instead of follow is how change becomes meaningful.

Trying to make something go away because you won't take responsibility is cowardice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I was born in 1984. I have two beautiful boys aged 12 & 6. I work 2 jobs, upwards of 80 hours a week, more If you count drive time. I listen to country music, I don't have cable at my house, let alone video game consoles. I served my country, I wear Levi jeans and button up shirts, I wear a cowboy hat and boots, I help people that need it and deserve it and I am just as proud to be an American today as I was on September 11 2001. I think AR may be generalizing too much.

As to this threads op, I agree in the fact that parents need to raise their children better. My sister is a fine example of parenting gone wrong...drugs and the "night life" have a hold on her while her child is in foster care. Parents are the main influence of their children's lives. A child can only learn from what they are taught, and if they aren't being taught anything, they will learn from the actions of their parents.

I am not trying to pat myself on the back, but I just wanted ar to know that not all people in my generation are worthless ass hanging out of pants, criminal glorifying disrespectful people. I think I am more than responsible enough to own firearms and I have proven that over my 28 years as an American and a productive member of society.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5817 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 5288

If you read Dr. Spock's book and took it seriously, YOU are the problem, not the children that you failed to raise properly.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7174 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

Love your children. Treat them fairly and with respect. Understand that they are children and don't have the thought processes of an adult. Be tolerant and patient in teaching them. Make raising them a priority in your life. Know that they are only little once and someday you will have your life back after they area grown and gone. Make them feel important to you and in your family. Teach them through word and example. Never make them feel like they are a pain in the ass to you and if you do wrong them in some way, don't be afraid to apologize. I'm not saying 'let them run the show' but they are important members of the family just as you are. I was strict with my children but I also loved them and respected them and they knew it. Even if their personal crises seem minor and insignificant to you, it is a big issue to them at that point in their life. Yes, it seems stupid that they are upset because their 'best friend' has been hanging around with someone else lately. But to them it is the end of the world and they should not be belittled for their feelings. Help them see the bigger picture. You can spoil a child with 'things' but you can't spoil a child with love.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5817 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 5288

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Love your children. Treat them fairly and with respect. Understand that they are children and don't have the thought processes of an adult. Be tolerant and patient in teaching them. Make raising them a priority in your life. Know that they are only little once and someday you will have your life back after they area grown and gone. Make them feel important to you and in your family. Teach them through word and example. Never make them feel like they are a pain in the ass to you and if you do wrong them in some way, don't be afraid to apologize. I'm not saying 'let them run the show' but they are important members of the family just as you are. I was strict with my children but I also loved them and respected them and they knew it. Even if their personal crises seem minor and insignificant to you, it is a big issue to them at that point in their life. Yes, it seems stupid that they are upset because their 'best friend' has been hanging around with someone else lately. But to them it is the end of the world and they should not be belittled for their feelings. Help them see the bigger picture. You can spoil a child with 'things' but you can't spoil a child with love.

Well said!

Winston Churchill

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 772 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Do not discount the peer group. Particularly if they go away to college. The values we taught made for fine adults. No problems with drugs etc. But, the great education they received and their peers helped them to be more liberal than the dad.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

growing up, and i come from a different generation, (born in 1963) so my heroes were my father and my grandfather. my father raised us strictly and with discipline when we deserved it. he taught us values, the difference between right and wrong and that a person should face consquences for their actions. he taught us to own up to our mistakes and that people will respect you for doing so. he taught us to try and always do the right thing, even if ding the right thing was the harder choice.

my grandfather passed away when i was eleven. i still miss him even today, but the thing i miss the most is the things he wasn't able to pass down to me by passing when i was so young. oh, the things that man could have taught me. my father just turned seventy, and though my grandfather is gone, i try and enjoy the time i get with father now, and still try to learn from him. and i will say this, he and i have moved into a different type of relationship, as he now treats me more as adult and as an equal rather than a son. for him to treat me as he does now, is truly a special feeling, because i owe who i am as an adult to him and my grandfather.

my brother was brought up the same way and now is passing those same values to his own daughters. he works hard and provides a good home for his family. he owns his own business and worked very hard to make it grow. he spends alot of time with his wife and daughters, but he never spoils them. they are very well behaved and very smart. and even thought i am a year older than him, i have a huge amount of respect for what my brother has accomplished and the person he is.

children are product of their environment. if left unchecked and to their own, with no guidance, no limits and no instruction, and no morals, they will many times choose the easier ways of life to get by. children need love, guidance and discipline. they need to know that there are consquences for their actions when they do wrong. parents need to nurture and teach as well as love their children. children are our most precious resource that is dependent upon what parents instill in them today. who they become tomorrow depends on what they are taught to value today.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Guess I fall into old dudes description. I'm 24 so I must be worthless......

Douchebag.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2012 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Guess I fall into old dudes description. I'm 24 so I must be worthless......

Douchebag.
I have an 18 year old grandson that graduated from high school with honors and is now in college. He is also an Eagle Scout. Our kid turned out OK. The idea that every one of a certain age is worthless is ridiculous.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #10

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I have an 18 year old grandson that graduated from high school with honors and is now in college. He is also an Eagle Scout. Our kid turned out OK. The idea that every one of a certain age is worthless is ridiculous.
Yep. Married, have child, three vehicles, our own place about to buy a house. Nice things, only debt is one car payment..... Ya, I'm worthless.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

People Like This