Response from Senator Claire McCaskil
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Response from Senator Claire McCaskil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Response from Senator Claire McCaskil

January 24, 2013

Dear Mr. L,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, as well as gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

On Friday, December 14, 2012, a gunman entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and began shooting teachers and students before taking his own life. This horrific tragedy took the lives of 27 people, including 20 children seven years of age and younger. As a mother, I'm horrified and stunned by the senseless violence against innocent children and teachers.

This tragedy has led to renewed and important discussions about gun control, which is often a divisive topic in our nation. The loss of so many beautiful children in a mass shooting that involved an assault rifle with ammunition clips that held large numbers of bullets makes clear that we need to revisit the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 and review permissible magazine ammunition sizes. I am also supportive of closing the gun show loophole and making sure that those with court-determined, dangerous mental health diagnoses do not get access to guns. Finally, it is equally clear that we must reconsider the mental health services available to our citizens, knowing that each mass shooting our nation has experienced involved individuals with substantial mental health problems. "Obamacare" will expand important mental health coverage when it is implemented in 2014. Protecting our children and our citizens will require us to come together to find real solutions that cover a broad range of factors that have contributed to these horrific incidents.

I firmly believe that an attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures can be done without infringing upon law-abiding citizens' right to own firearms or unduly burdening the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri. I believe the horror of the Newtown shootings makes clear that we must get to work protecting our communities and our children from mass slaughter, while also protecting our Second Amendment rights. I am hopeful that the National Rifle Association, a significant voice in this discussion, will be a constructive part of this dialogue.

Even as I welcome this renewed debate, please know that I will continue to protect the Second Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens to safely own and use appropriate firearms. In the past, I have voted to permit residents of the District of Columbia to own and purchase firearms. I also supported an amendment to a spending bill that would prevent funding for any international organization, including the United Nations, that places a tax on any firearm owned by a United States citizen. I have opposed other inappropriate measures, such as forcing Missouri to accept other states' firearms laws.

As your United States Senator, I will keep your thoughts in mind anytime Congress considers gun-related legislation. In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, my prayers are with the students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary, and with their families. All Americans are outraged at senseless and criminal gun violence no matter where they may fall in the debate on guns in American society. A renewed national conversation has begun and we must all be a constructive and open-minded part of it. There is middle ground here, where this nation can come together with sensible laws that prevent the mass murder of innocent citizens, while we continue to respect our Constitution and its Second Amendment rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

In short I think that what she is really saying is this "I, as a US senator, have no clue what the 2 amendment is actually there for. I am a firm believer in allowing people to own firearms to hunt, but that is all. I have no real understanding of the oath I took or what the constitution means or what it says. I am happy that I am making money as your senator for doing nothing, and I hope this letter will make you vote for me again. As for the true meaning of the 2a and your right to own firearms, you're pretty much screwed.

Thanks for your tax dollars, they paid for a huge steak for my lunch and a bunch of other things I don't need and you will never have,

Your senator."

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Aligns to my interpretation.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
January 24, 2013

Dear Mr. L,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ...
Cliff notes version ... your Senator just told you to go choke on a dick! She's coming for your guns

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

CaseyChadwell Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

I haven't responded to her yet. I figured I ought to take a day or two to calm down a little. Probably in my best interest.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Reply from my other Senator. This one sounds better

Dear Caleb,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the rights of gun owners.

As you may know, I am a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights. The right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms is an individual right guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution and broadly interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court. Our Founders clearly understood that one of the most basic rights of Americans is the ability to defend themselves and their families.

In light of the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, there have been calls for immediate action to address gun control. I do believe it is important that we have a serious national discussion about preventing these senseless acts of violence and protecting our children in their schools. Equally important, however, is an effort that more broadly addresses ways to spend federal dollars more wisely when it comes to treating and identifying those who are mentally ill as well as intervening before they tragically impact their own lives and the lives of others.

There are no easy answers here. I continue to believe that a weapons ban does not fix the issue. Whatever we do, it must be consistent with the Constitution.

I appreciate your thoughts and will continue to support legislation that safeguards our Second Amendment rights, encourages safe and responsible gun ownership, and keeps our homes and families safe.

Agai n, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt ) and Twitter ( www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt ) about the important issues f acing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website ( blunt.senate.gov ) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e -newsletter .

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
I haven't responded to her yet. I figured I ought to take a day or two to calm down a little. Probably in my best interest.
that ... and I'm no expert but I would imagine it would be hard to repsond while choking on a dick

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

clue Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
JAD

Liked 52 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Let's face it, political campaigns are full of half-truths and inaccuracies designed to portray an opponent in a poor light. It's always been that way. This business of accusing people of lying is not conducive to a civil conversation. How do you respond to someone who has not just voiced his disagreement with your position, but has also maligned your character? In the last election, both sides did it, though my opinion is that the obama campaign was the more egregious.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
that ... and I'm no expert but I would imagine it would be hard to repsond while choking on a dick
She must use a strap on.....lol

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #10

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

"an assault rifle with ammunition clips that held large numbers of bullets"
Totally clueless about firearms. First off, a semi-auto AR-15 IS NOT and "assault rifle" since it does NOT fire in full auto. Second off, they're not "clips" they're MAGAZINES and they don't hold "bullets" they hold round of ammunition or cartridges, a bullet is only part of a round of ammo.
I honestly think that we, the folks that truly understand the 2nd Amendment are totally wasting out time trying to talk to these anti-gun jerks. They never will 'get it' no matter how hard we try to talk to them or no matter what we say. They've made up their little minds that firearms are bad and should not be in the hands of "civilians" at all. The only real course of action is to wake up enough of the "sheeple" to vote these jerks out of office. Barring that move to another more gun friendly State and take your guns and tax dollars with you so they won't get a penny more of your hard earned money to use against you to pass these stupid laws.

This is the War Room!"