Response from Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Response from Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Smile Response from Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)

The kind of response that I like!

Subject: Responding to your message
To: jgoertz@bellsouth.net
CC:

Dear Mr. Goertzen,

Thank you for contacting me to voice your opposition to new gun control laws in response to the recent school shootings in Connecticut and California. I appreciate hearing your views, and I agree with you.

In the wake of these tragedies, many in Washington are calling for increased restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms, arguing that it will help to reduce gun violence. For example, Senator Feinstein (D-CA) has announced plans to reintroduce a ban on assault weapons and to limit magazine capacity. Also, President Obama has signed 23 executive actions and has called on Congress to pass legislation, including background checks for all firearms sales. However, as many supporters of the Second Amendment have pointed out, increased restrictions do little to affect the actions of criminals, who by definition do not abide by the law. Instead, they restrict the rights of law-abiding Americans.

I am a firm believer and ardent supporter of the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment. This constitutional right, and our heritage of using firearms for sporting and self-defense purposes, does not have to be sacrificed to reduce gun-related violence. Instead, we should focus on enforcing the extensive laws already in place and turn our attention to more appropriate measures, such as increasing the safety of our schools and keeping guns out of the hands of those who may be mentally incapable of owning them responsibly.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you and your family.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I realize ^^^this^^^ is probably a canned reply, but it puts his thinking up front with no doubt about his position.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
I realize ^^^this^^^ is probably a canned reply, but it puts his thinking up front with no doubt about his position.
Yeah, it's canned, I got the same one word for word. I completely understand that they can't write a personal letter to each and every single person who writes them one, so this is the next best thing, a letter that conveys his attitudes, thoughts and feelings on the matter.