Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Report those who call 911 when you open carry

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Report those who call 911 when you open carry

Could be a good way to shift the desire some people have to call the police and report responsible gun owners...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16924 Times on 9806 Posts
Likes Given: 44112

just curious, how is someone to know whether the person carrying is legally carrying or illegally carrying? pretty sure they have little understanding of current gun laws if they were reporting someone carrying a firearm. and if LE is called, and everything is above board and legal, then it's probably a moot point anyways. another point, how is the person carrying going to know who the person is that made the call in the first place.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Paraphrasing here somewhat but he said Oregon city has opted to make it a violation to openly carry a loaded firearm without a concealed carry permit.
So I have a few questions.
If he has a concealed carry permit (which he did not state) then why is he open carrying to start with?
Did he read that wrong?
Or does he not have a concealed carry license and he is just a dope with a lawyer that is laughing all the way to the bank?
Do you really think the person read beyond the first line of that letter without ripping it up and tossing it?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Last edited by mountainman13; 07-25-2013 at 03:00 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 530 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 2836

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Paraphrasing here somewhat but he said Oregon city has opted to make it a violation to openly carry a loaded firearm without a concealed carry permit.
So I have a few questions.
If he has a concealed carry permit (which he did not state) then why is he open carrying to start with?
Did he read that wrong?
Or does he not have a concealed carry license and he is just a dope with a lawyer that is laughing all the way to the bank?
Do you really think the person read beyond the first line of that letter without ripping it up and tossing it?
I'm curious as to the requirement to have a concealed carry permit, in order to be able to open carry. That seems contradictory.

Or, am I over thinking things?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
just curious, how is someone to know whether the person carrying is legally carrying or illegally carrying? pretty sure they have little understanding of current gun laws if they were reporting someone carrying a firearm. and if LE is called, and everything is above board and legal, then it's probably a moot point anyways. another point, how is the person carrying going to know who the person is that made the call in the first place.
Well, we do have a right to face our accuser, and AFAIK - it's not limited to just court proceedings.

Most people that report someone that is legally open carrying generally don't know anything about state or federal gun laws.

However, no one really knows if the person carrying is legal to do so (basically, not a criminal), so erring on the side of caution isn't always bad.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Well, we do have a right to face our accuser, and AFAIK - it's not limited to just court proceedings.

Most people that report someone that is legally open carrying generally don't know anything about state or federal gun laws.

However, no one really knows if the person carrying is legal to do so (basically, not a criminal), so erring on the side of caution isn't always bad.
i understand that, but if the person who called it in, left from the scene, i doubt that the LEO's will go through the effort of tracking them down. i could be wrong.

IMO, open carrying when the vast majority don't and many don't understand the legalities of legal open carry, a person has to expect this to happen. and as long as LE does their job and abide by the laws and respect the rights of the person legally open carrying, i really don't see the problem.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1633 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

The way I understood it was that if ya dont have a CC, you can open carry. If ya have CC you must CC.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My understanding

My understanding is this:

1. Many people don't understand what the gun laws are, especially those who are not gun owners. I can understand why someone would want to call the police and confirm everything is on the up and up. It seems that the letter can provide information to a lay person so they can know that what is happening is not a crime

2. An officer cannot respond and make a stop without reasonable suspicion... openly carrying a firearm does not rise to the level of reasonable suspicion and any stop, is a violation of civil rights...

3. I looked up that improper use statute and it states that a person is in violation of the law if they call 911 to report something other than what that person would reasonably believe to be a likely threat of severe bodily injury... calling the cops for open carry doesn't seem to fit that bill...

Anyways that is just my opinion from the vid.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i understand that, but if the person who called it in, left from the scene, i doubt that the LEO's will go through the effort of tracking them down. i could be wrong.

IMO, open carrying when the vast majority don't and many don't understand the legalities of legal open carry, a person has to expect this to happen. and as long as LE does their job and abide by the laws and respect the rights of the person legally open carrying, i really don't see the problem.
If the 911 operator does the job properly, he/she will get as much contact info as they can.

But, like you said, as long as LE is being professional.

Personally, if open carry is legal and someone that lawfully owns a firearm wishes to open carry, I have no problem with it. I wouldn't. And not because of some tard that doesn't know the law.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluuuek View Post
My understanding is this:

1. Many people don't understand what the gun laws are, especially those who are not gun owners. I can understand why someone would want to call the police and confirm everything is on the up and up. It seems that the letter can provide information to a lay person so they can know that what is happening is not a crime

2. An officer cannot respond and make a stop without reasonable suspicion... openly carrying a firearm does not rise to the level of reasonable suspicion and any stop, is a violation of civil rights...

3. I looked up that improper use statute and it states that a person is in violation of the law if they call 911 to report something other than what that person would reasonably believe to be a likely threat of severe bodily injury... calling the cops for open carry doesn't seem to fit that bill...

Anyways that is just my opinion from the vid.
1. are people suppose to hand them out to everyone? even many of that do know many of the firearm laws, don't know everyone of them. what if the pesron calling is from a different city or area?

2. if someone has made a complaint or call about a person carrying a firearm openly, i think that the officer has his probable cause to follow up and check it out. if the person is doing so legally and he finds this out and goes on his merry way, i what way are your civil rights being violated?

3. again i point out, that a person calling 911 when they observe a person carrying may have no knowledge of current gun laws, so IMO, that's not intention of falsely reporting criminal activities.

just my thoughts about what you have posted.
Closed Thread