Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Report from the NRA re: thefts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default Report from the NRA re: thefts

Couldn't find the existing thread pertaining to the following subject, but here is the latest...

Rumor Alert: The Vehicle Gun Theft “Epidemic”

Friday, January 20, 2012

Long before Al Gore “created” the Internet, gun owners were busy perfecting grassroots networking. Today, gun owners have an almost unlimited number of ways to spread information crucial to our community. And, while the Internet is certainly an indispensible tool for protecting our rights, an unfortunate side effect has been the fast and easy spread of rumors.

The latest of these, appearing on Internet message boards and in emails, warns of a growing trend of gangsters marking the license plates or wheels of vehicles parked at shooting clubs, gun stores, ranges and gun shows. According to the rumor, the thieves later spot or follow the marked vehicles and break into them to steal guns while their owners are elsewhere.

The reports go on to claim that the tactic has reached “epidemic” proportions in San Antonio, Texas, and specifically, at the National Skeet Shooting Association and National Sporting Clays Association’s National Shooting Complex. Naturally, the NSC investigated the matter thoroughly. They concluded that the rumor is false on several counts.

First, all of the “suspicious” vehicle markings reported to the NSC turned out to be routine—placed there by those who manufactured, owned or serviced the vehicles. The online reports also suggest that the NSCA National Championship was a particular target of gun thieves. In reality, there were no reported gun thefts at the 2011 event. A claim that a police chief in San Antonio met with 400 shooters to discuss the trend is also false. (To read the NSC’s full statement, go to http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/2012/01/nsc-response-to-rumors-about-gun-thefts/.)

Gun theft is a serious concern for all gun owners, who should certainly take reasonable precautions to protect their firearms from criminals. But the truth of this story should also remind us that there’s no need to panic—and that it’s always worth taking a few moments to check out tales like this before passing them on. After all, it would be a tragedy if shooters were discouraged from pursuing the activities they love and exercising their Second Amendment rights due to rampant urban legends.

Just FYI

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Thanks for bringing that to us. I'm usually suspicious of such stories and quick to yell Urban Legend, but I've seen police use a similar tactic to bust drunk drivers, so it seemed so easy to believe.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Thanks for bringing that to us. I'm usually suspicious of such stories and quick to yell Urban Legend, but I've seen police use a similar tactic to bust drunk drivers, so it seemed so easy to believe.
Oh, don't get me wrong...I was right there with you guys. And it still sounds plausible. I just happened to receive this email this morning, and thought I'd share...

Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2599 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I called it from the get go. I have seen enough of these internet fear mongering rumors to spot a fake pretty easily.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I called it from the get go. I have seen enough of these internet fear mongering rumors to spot a fake pretty easily.
You are such a killjoy

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

What is joyfuyl about getting all worked up over nothing?

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #7

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Wonder if, now that this story is circulated, some individuals or groups of individuals will pick up this tactic for theft of firearms. It has been laid out as far as how to do it in the first place, and now that type of theft has even been shot down by the NRA so firearms owners will likely be less vigilant than ever in regard to that sort of tactic...

Very interesting and thanks for bringing that e-mail to our attention! Thumbs up!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #8

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

ah, er, what's "&ldquo" and "&rdquo"?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
ah, er, what's "&ldquo" and "&rdquo"?
Not a clue what you're talking about...

Where are you seein' it?

Old 01-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Look at your original post. Sometimes symbols or quotation marks do not translate well into the forum.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball