Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Report: 3D-printed handgun project faces setback with revoked printer lease (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/report-3d-printed-handgun-project-faces-setback-revoked-printer-lease-73631/)

slog 10-03-2012 11:05 AM

Report: 3D-printed handgun project faces setback with revoked printer lease

Not sure if you're up-to-date on 3D "printing", but it's a fairly new technology that allows you to literally "print" 3D objects out of plastics direct from a digital model (similar to CNC but without need to mill, it's formed primarily as is).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57524063-76/report-3d-printed-handgun-project-faces-setback-with-revoked-printer-lease/

bkt 10-03-2012 12:56 PM

The issue is whether or not making your own firearms at home is legal. It would appear it is if you don't sell or trade it and if it isn't full-auto or a sawed-off shotgun. The ATF's policies are so muddled and confused that it's hard to tell what's legal and what isn't; the ATF contradicts itself because things are so confusing. So erring on the side of caution, the printer lease was canceled.

Ain't gun-control great? :mad:

TDS92A 10-03-2012 02:19 PM

They are just mad because they did not think of it first. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 962712)
The issue is whether or not making your own firearms at home is legal. It would appear it is if you don't sell or trade it and if it isn't full-auto or a sawed-off shotgun. The ATF's policies are so muddled and confused that it's hard to tell what's legal and what isn't; the ATF contradicts itself because things are so confusing. So erring on the side of caution, the printer lease was canceled.

Ain't gun-control great? :mad:

Dillinger 10-03-2012 02:29 PM

Knee jerk reaction.

Here's their rub, in an easy to understand instance for a change.

So the guy hits print and gets a lone gun, crazily fires it and it works. What stops him from producing 50 more over the weekend?

The whole, "can manufacture with no intent to sell" is based on the idea that like Spitty's AR build, it will take time and effort and no one is banging out 50 AR lowers.

Mass production capabilities weren't factored in, because no one thought this far ahead in the game.

This ends up in the Supreme Court before its settled, I am sure.

I think the ATF was once again wrong, but what else is new?

JD

Old_Crow 10-03-2012 02:58 PM

Lesson learned here, if you are going to print pistols buy a printer.

slog 10-03-2012 03:08 PM

The closest analogy I can think of is renting a truck and having the rental revoked because you were using the trucks to transport something legally that the company had moral issues with. I don't think they'd be liable in the case of illegal activity, even though there was none here.

People commenting on that article have the mindset that this guy was printing entire weapons ready to fire and being a potential tool for terrorists to create weaponry. That's pretty funny.

Old_Crow 10-03-2012 03:13 PM

If you had the proper set up for a 3d printer you could make a weapon about the speed of a Jimenez by the lost wax process. Pot metal is all you could mold at home.

slog 10-03-2012 03:21 PM

Yeah, I could see some cheap short-lived weapons coming out of that thing whole, but for the money spent ($20k) you could build a mass-production AK factory with a few hydraulic presses, sheet metal and a reserve of surplus parts. I can't imagine the typical talibum hiding in a cave running off cast copies of a .380, preparing to take over france with his super soaker. :p

I almost forgot to mention, they already have this 3D AK printer that terrorists are already using. I think they call it "the former soviet union" or something like that.

c3shooter 10-03-2012 03:57 PM

CAN you legally make your own pistol/ rifle/ shotgun? yes.

Would there be a legality issue with the actions proposed? Yes.

In the US, you violate Federal law if you manufacture a "undetectable" firearm. And yes, that IS defined in the law. Unlike early runs, this gent was making an ALL plastic firearm- earlier ones were a plastic lower, upper and barrel were metal.

Whether you make 1 or 50, you still fall under Fed law. I COULD produce a couple of dozen fairly crude 12 g shotguns in a weekend- with no $20K printer. And they would last for more shots that a pistol with a plastic barrel. But if I start "engaging in the business" of making shotguns, I had beter touch second base, have a manufacturer's license, and pay the excise tax I would owe on each gun.

Never screw with the tax man- those were the guys that got Al Capone, remember?:rolleyes:

slog 10-03-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 962893)
CAN you legally make your own pistol/ rifle/ shotgun? yes.

Would there be a legality issue with the actions proposed? Yes.

In the US, you violate Federal law if you manufacture a "undetectable" firearm. And yes, that IS defined in the law. Unlike early runs, this gent was making an ALL plastic firearm- earlier ones were a plastic lower, upper and barrel were metal.

Whether you make 1 or 50, you still fall under Fed law. I COULD produce a couple of dozen fairly crude 12 g shotguns in a weekend- with no $20K printer. And they would last for more shots that a pistol with a plastic barrel. But if I start "engaging in the business" of making shotguns, I had beter touch second base, have a manufacturer's license, and pay the excise tax I would owe on each gun.

Never screw with the tax man- those were the guys that got Al Capone, remember?:rolleyes:

I would never attempt it. I'd at least ask the local PD for advise first and then work off of a 80% receiver, and make something worthwhile and rare. I saw some dude on YouTube that made an AR15 receiver out of a plastic kitchen cutting board that he glued and fastened together (and it works). Why you would do it is another question.

Full writeup

http://www.sotsyndicate.com/weapon-discussion/35532-cutting-board-ar-15-a.html