Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Remington - NBC will soon air a report most popular Shotguns & Rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/remington-nbc-will-soon-air-report-most-popular-shotguns-rifles-62359/)

Bigcountry02 04-12-2012 06:08 AM

Remington - NBC will soon air a report most popular Shotguns & Rifles

NBC is at it again, they will soon air a report about Remington Arms and several of Remington most popular shoyguns and rifles.

Read the pdf in the link below. I am now going to get another 870.

http://www.respectremington.tv/?ammoland#/home

http://www.respectremington.tv/pdf/Remington_NBC_Pre-Air_Release.pdf

Vincine 04-12-2012 11:24 AM

Without getting into the 'wisdom' of putting one's hand on the muzzle or leaving a chambered gun standing up on it's butt, are there other firearms whose sole safety just blocks the trigger, instead of the hammer and/or other parts of the firing mechanism?

JonM 04-12-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 768684)
Without getting into the 'wisdom' of putting one's hand on the muzzle or leaving a chambered gun standing up on it's butt, are there other firearms whose sole safety just blocks the trigger, instead of the hammer and/or other parts of the firing mechanism?

Glocks and just about any firearm that uses a crossbolt style safety.

The things you WONT find in that "report" will be the fact the gun in question was monkeyed with by the owner and the one nbc will use to "demonstrate" was monkeyed with by nbc itself to create a false image of remington products.

Just remember it hasnt even been a week since nbc was caught creatively editing police 911 audio recordings to make zimmerman say racial slurs...

Crossbolt safeties are safe and have been in use for over a hundred years. People get shot by their own firearms purely through negligence but that wont be anywhere in the lie factory nbc will be airing

Yunus 04-12-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 768706)

Crossbolt safeties are safe and have been in use for over a hundred years. People get shot by their own firearms purely through negligence but that wont be anywhere in the lie factory nbc will be airing

I just thought that part was worth repeating.

You could put a remote trigger on any of my guns fire it at any random time you want and no one would get accidentally shot because I follow the rules and NEVER point the gun at anything I don't want to destroy.

alsaqr 04-12-2012 12:36 PM

MSNBC is an anti-gun ultra-liberal mouthpiece. They have made a career of bashing Remington. i own 19 Remington model 721, 722 and 700 rifles. Together those guns have fired a million or two rounds. None of them ever went bang before they were supposed to.

One of the "cases" cited by MSNBC is a dumb lady who unloaded her gun while pointing it at her son. Remington 700 rifles become dangerous because dumb butts try to adjust their triggers.

Vincine 04-12-2012 01:20 PM

I guess what Iím getting at is:

Do other firearms manufactures use the same kind of trigger only safety? What are their accidental discharge (as differentiated from NDs) records?

If other firearm manufactures do utilize other and/or additional safeties; firing pin blocks, etc. (like Glocks, 1911s, etc.), what are their AD rates?

Basically, is Remington being picked on? I didnít see anything on the report about how other firearms manufactures design their safeties, and whether their records are better or worse.

I remain suspicious when other information & data exists, but is not presented.

pioneer461 04-12-2012 03:02 PM

With NBC's history with exploding pickups and altered "facts", I believe NOTHING they have to say.

JTJ 04-12-2012 03:29 PM

NBC gave up being a viable news source a long time ago. It is nothing but a liberal propaganda mill. NBC should not even be referred to as a news media.

Trez 04-12-2012 03:48 PM

I do have a small complaint with the 870... The ejector spring isnt very strong and its not a user replaceable part (theres a rivet holding it in)... I broke mine, but because I wasnt the original owner, they wanted to charge me.. Well it ended up being cheaper to buy a new 870 than to send my old one and have it fixed... :(
But the same part on the Mossberg 500 is much beefier and is replaceable...
I do have both.. the 870 is my "modern tactical" one, the 500 is my "goose gun"..

Viking 04-12-2012 06:35 PM

The thing that got me about the story was no mention of the understanding we have here, "A firearm is always considered loaded and should always be handled as such." The one guy they talked to that was in prison for killing his wife said he handed his rifle to his wife, after being in the process of cleaning it, and it went off. Rather odd that he didn't have the bolt slid back for cleaning. I'm sorry for the injuries of others they were interviewing but they all sounded like mishandling of firearms. The question from the newsman should have been, "Why didn't you handle your firearm with absolute safety in mind?" All this being said, have I made mistakes? Yes, but I always strive to know where the muzzle is pointed and I don't stand my firearm in a position where it will slide over or fall. So in many ways this whole thing was a witch hunt. How many people died during the NBC program due to vehicle accidents, drowning or overdoses of drugs,etc? When one considers the millions of Remington shotguns and rifles around I suspect that comparing the previous mentioned deaths far outstrip accidental discharge wounds and deaths. It would be interesting to see the statistics of all wounds and deaths against the Remington statistics. I'm pretty sure Remington would come out smelling like a rose compared to other death causes.