Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   ? on reloaded ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/reloaded-ammo-27966/)

colmustard 06-05-2010 07:49 PM

? on reloaded ammo

Ok so I just bought a reloader and am going to start reloading, so i can hit the range alot more! But I have a few friends who want to purchase some of my reloads, as it is cheaper. So my question is what leagal path ways must I go through to leagally sell my reloaded ammunition? Thanks for any advice, as I do not want to end up in a federall pund me in the butt prison! LOL:eek:

Harland 06-05-2010 08:14 PM

if you do it as a private sell then yes. though here is the thing you will want to consider, if even one thing is wrong with the ammo and it causes injury to the person that uses it you can get sued.

CA357 06-05-2010 08:16 PM

I don't reload, so this is strictly my opinion, don't do it. The liability you'll expose yourself to just isn't worth it.

samardza 06-05-2010 10:50 PM

Here's a thought, to avoid the liability, rent the reloader to your friends so that they do thier own.

Last Crow 06-05-2010 11:55 PM

Just let them come by and use it. Have them pay you in primers beer or what ever. Donít let them take your equipment home with them. I just started reloading not long ago myself. You may find working out a load for each type of brass more work than you thought it would be.

stalkingbear 06-06-2010 01:26 AM

It is illegal to manufacture AND sell reloaded ammo without an ammo manufacturers license. DON'T do it. Best I remember a ammo manufacturer's license is a FFL class 7. You would also need liability insurance. Now you CAN help them reload ammo on your equipment but cannot do it for them-either for free or charging them.

Rick1967 06-06-2010 01:41 AM

What if your friend had a piece of crap gun? He shoots a perfectly good round that you loaded. The gun blows up because it was a piece of crap. Your friend is injured. Now you have one less friend, and need a lawyer. Of course they will think it is your fault.

laynejc 06-06-2010 01:57 AM

I like the renting idea, I "rent" mine, every 200 rounds they put together, I get to put 10 together on their dime.

Pat-inCO 06-06-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357
don't do it. The liability you'll expose yourself to just isn't worth it.

I'll second that.

Unless you are really strange (no aspersion cast) you did not start reloading to save other people money. If they want reloads, let them get their own equipment.

masterPsmith 06-06-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 295511)
It is illegal to manufacture AND sell reloaded ammo without an ammo manufacturers license. DON'T do it. Best I remember a ammo manufacturer's license is a FFL class 7. You would also need liability insurance. Now you CAN help them reload ammo on your equipment but cannot do it for them-either for free or charging them.

I was an FFl licensed ammo manufacture for over 30 years when I was also an FFl dealer. Your liability insurance will cost you a bunch along with having to pay Federal Tax on each and every round you manfacture. You can load for someone else without all this "IF" you load their own brass. This does not require a License. If you use brass from any other source, you have to be licensed. If I were you, I would tell them, if they want to reload and reap the benifits from it, buy their own equipment and start loading on their own....................

Jim.............