Regarding MN Permit to Purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Regarding MN Permit to Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
oxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Regarding MN Permit to Purchase

Hello all,

I've recently gotten into target shooting with some experienced friends and am interested in purchasing my first gun. I'm currently leaning towards a Glock 26 due to the affordable ammo, durability/reliability, price, and the ability to potentially conceal and carry in the future.

Here's the hitch. I'm a Minnesota resident but I live primarily in Wisconsin for work and school and because of that, the only time I'm actually in Minnesota is around the holidays when I visit family and for a few weeks during the summer. Now, it was my impression that in MN, one must obtain a permit to purchase a handgun/assault riffle. If this is so, does anyone know how much this permit costs? Also, is it possible to apply in MN and have them mail it to WI when the background check and everything is completed?

I did some more research and I found the following page: Inv -- License, Permit and Registration Descriptions

where is says (#3) "If you want to make a one-time purchase of a handgun from a dealer, and you do not have a permit to purchase, you may apply directly at the gun shop where you will purchase the handgun." Is this accurate? Do you know how long this background check take (ie is it a week just as if I had applied for a purchase permit?) and is the price the shop charges the same as if they just did a FFL gun transfer?

I'm confused because I'm pretty sure in MN that in order to purchase a shotgun/rifle, you have to go through a background check as well so I don't get if this is a different process than with a handgun or not. I'd love to just come to MN for a week or so, buy the thing and be done with it.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Oxx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Minnesota Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Minnesota?

And welcome to the forum. Most new members stop by the introductions thread and let the members get to know them a bit.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
oxx

Hey, thanks for the link it answered most of my questions. Yeah, I'll get around to the intro forum soon.

Do you know if the purchase permit can be mailed out of state?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Says no permit needed to purchase long guns or hand guns. Permit is needed for concealed carry. So....

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #5

Default Minnesota permit to purchase.

That article is wrong!!! In Minnesota you must have a permit to purchase (P2P) a handgun. A permit to carry also serves as a P2P. Your local Police dept. issuses the P2P after conducting the background check. The p2p is good for 1 year from date of issue, the permit to carry is good for 5 years. There is no charge (yet) for a p2p.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"] IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, CAN WE USE SWORDS?