Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Regarding MN Permit to Purchase (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/regarding-mn-permit-purchase-25563/)

oxx 04-03-2010 08:17 AM

Regarding MN Permit to Purchase

Hello all,

I've recently gotten into target shooting with some experienced friends and am interested in purchasing my first gun. I'm currently leaning towards a Glock 26 due to the affordable ammo, durability/reliability, price, and the ability to potentially conceal and carry in the future.

Here's the hitch. I'm a Minnesota resident but I live primarily in Wisconsin for work and school and because of that, the only time I'm actually in Minnesota is around the holidays when I visit family and for a few weeks during the summer. Now, it was my impression that in MN, one must obtain a permit to purchase a handgun/assault riffle. If this is so, does anyone know how much this permit costs? Also, is it possible to apply in MN and have them mail it to WI when the background check and everything is completed?

I did some more research and I found the following page: Inv -- License, Permit and Registration Descriptions

where is says (#3) "If you want to make a one-time purchase of a handgun from a dealer, and you do not have a permit to purchase, you may apply directly at the gun shop where you will purchase the handgun." Is this accurate? Do you know how long this background check take (ie is it a week just as if I had applied for a purchase permit?) and is the price the shop charges the same as if they just did a FFL gun transfer?

I'm confused because I'm pretty sure in MN that in order to purchase a shotgun/rifle, you have to go through a background check as well so I don't get if this is a different process than with a handgun or not. I'd love to just come to MN for a week or so, buy the thing and be done with it.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Oxx

skullcrusher 04-03-2010 09:30 PM

Minnesota Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Minnesota?

And welcome to the forum. Most new members stop by the introductions thread and let the members get to know them a bit. :)

oxx 04-03-2010 11:55 PM

Hey, thanks for the link it answered most of my questions. Yeah, I'll get around to the intro forum soon.

Do you know if the purchase permit can be mailed out of state?

skullcrusher 04-04-2010 12:10 AM

Says no permit needed to purchase long guns or hand guns. Permit is needed for concealed carry. So....

BRSmith 04-05-2010 03:18 PM

Minnesota permit to purchase.

That article is wrong!!! In Minnesota you must have a permit to purchase (P2P) a handgun. A permit to carry also serves as a P2P. Your local Police dept. issuses the P2P after conducting the background check. The p2p is good for 1 year from date of issue, the permit to carry is good for 5 years. There is no charge (yet) for a p2p.