Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Regarding lending your wife a firearm for travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Regarding lending your wife a firearm for travel.

Hi guys! I live in Commiefornia and my wife is taking a trip up north to visit her sister which is like a 6 hour drive. She's taking my son and she will be driving through areas where she will lose cell phone service as well as not having anyone around to help her. I want to give her one of my pistols just in case she needs it. You here all kinds of horrible stories happening and I want to make sure the two most important things in my life are well taken care of. Can I legally lend it to her even if its registered to me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Any advice on this matter that you may get here is near worthless. You need to contact a lawyer in california who will be willing to stand by his advice in court.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #3

Liked 3684 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Anywhere else on the West coast the answer would be yes... Perfectly legal...

In your state however...I'm surprised you can still legaly own a gun and am pretty sure that "scrotum" registration is right around the corner.

Seriously though ... If in doubt consult an attorney familiar with CA Law

Tack

People Like This 
Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #4

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampart18 View Post
Hi guys! I live in Commiefornia and my wife is taking a trip up north to visit her sister which is like a 6 hour drive. She's taking my son and she will be driving through areas where she will lose cell phone service as well as not having anyone around to help her. I want to give her one of my pistols just in case she needs it. You here all kinds of horrible stories happening and I want to make sure the two most important things in my life are well taken care of. Can I legally lend it to her even if its registered to me?
For starters, visit the following web pages below that will summarize California and other State laws regarding transport of firearms. Unless she possesses a license/permit where she can carry it with in the driver seat, she may have to safe and lock it in the rear of the vehicle while traveling. What she does with it in other instances vary from state to state.

http://handgunlaw.us/

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user"

Theodore Roosevelt

Old 12-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #5

Liked 1002 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 346

If she has no experience with a firearm it is going to be a hassle for her. If she isn't asking for a gun she doesn't need one forced on her. Not to mention if she is not used to handling firearms around the kids you are exposing your wife to needless risk. Situation awareness will eliminate the need for a gun.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

She has plenty experience with a firearm and by law she will have to carry the firearm in a locked container separated from the ammo which could be anywhere else. My fear is that the car will have a mishap and she can be stranded in a dark desolate place, where in that case, it would be most safe for her to take the firearm out of the trunk and keep it in her loaded. Yes, it may be illegal but there isn't one law that's going to keep her safe if someone stops to break the law and try to rape or kill her. Only thing I'm worried about is if she gets pulled over and the cops discover that there is a firearm in the trunk that's locked away and separated from the ammo but is not registered to her. I was only wondering if someone who may live here in Cali may be familiar with this and would know that it would or would not be legal for her to travel with it if it belonged to her husband.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
62 gr Fusion

Liked 190 Times on 127 Posts

What's a wife

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

People Like This 
Old 12-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #8

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

In a worst case scenario, it could save her life. Best case, no one knows she even has it. Hedge your bets.

No offense and none taken

MoHawk Likes This 
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Retired

Liked 2270 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1059

If you would like advice, move.

Even if she can legally carry in the trunk, separated from ammo, and all that.

Then why even have her take it with her? Can she carry it with her when she is at her destination? Can she carry it into the Cracker Barrel she stops at on the way? How about refueling?
If she needed it she still has to open the trunk, grab the gun, grab the ammo, load the gun.

And a robbery can happen faster than the time it took to read this.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Liked 890 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 685

What difference does the law make? Either you're worried enough about your wife and child to loan her the gun, or you're not. Both scenarios, her getting attacked or her getting stopped and searched, are unlikely. If my wife and child were traveling through an area that was known to be dangerous, I'd loan her the gun and take my chances with the law. But if I felt she'd be much more likely to get stopped and searched by a cop, I'd keep the gun at home.

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Last edited by 7point62; 12-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.
People Like This