Recieved letter back from my Senator

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Recieved letter back from my Senator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Recieved letter back from my Senator

Here is what one of my senators had to say in response to my letter...

Dear Mr. """"""",

Thank you for contacting me to voice your opposition to new gun control laws in response to the recent school shootings in Connecticut and California . I appreciate hearing your views, and I agree with you.

In the wake of these tragedies , many in Washington are calling for increased restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms, arguing that it will help to reduce gun violence. For example, Senator Feinstein (D-CA) has announced plans to re introduce a ban on assault weapons and to limit magazine capacity. Also, President Obama has signed 23 executive actions and has called on Congress to pass legislation, including background checks for all firearms sales . However, as many supporters of the Second Amendment have pointed out, increased restrictions do little to affect the actions of criminals, who by definition do not abide by the law. Instead, they restrict the rights of law-abiding Americans.

I am a firm believer and ardent supporter of the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment. This constitutional right, and our heritage of using firearms for sporting and self-defense purposes, does not have to be sacrificed to reduce gun-related violence. Instead, w e should focus on enforcing the extensive laws already in place and turn our attention to more appropriate measures , such as increasing the safety of our schools and keep ing guns out of the hands of those who may be mentally incapable of owning them responsibly .

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you and your family.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 389 Posts

Could you please state who your senator is so that they can also be held accountable for their statements?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 389 Posts

Furthermore, could we get a thread started with a list of Senators and Congressmen and whether they will vote for or against further gun control. Only list those who have put in writing their stance.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sure, David Vitter R-LA