THIS is the reason normal people are scared of guns and people with guns - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > THIS is the reason normal people are scared of guns and people with guns

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I believe the crux of this argument here is not whether it is ok for people to use incorrect terminology, but rather how we deal with their use of the same. Another question is whether we should even bother correcting them. Personally, I'd rather see everyone addressing whatever correctly. Still, no matter what you would say, there will be some that will call whatever what they wish to call it. You'll get some that will call a magazine a clip no matter what you say, stand on your head and turn flourescent colors, they will call them clips.

I taught adult education for a number of years and have dealt with them all. You will never be able to teach some people. Period. Some feel that by correcting them, you are insulting their intelligence. That's usually not the case, but they wish to take it for that. Should you not try? I don't believe that. Those that fall into the asshat category aren't doing any of us any favors. You'll find the largest population of them here on the 'net, what I like to call "Keyboard Commandos". They act like their turds don't stink behind the keyboard far removed from personal contact where you might have to show your stuff for real. More often than not, their turds stink real badly. Let's not see any of us fall into this category here or elsewhere. There's always a right way and a wrong way to deal with anything. Just make sure you have your facts straight in the topic of what you speak. That makes a lasting impression.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
You will never be able to teach some people. Period. Some feel that by correcting them, you are insulting their intelligence. That's usually not the case, but they wish to take it for that.
Sounds like my ex-wife.

FWIW, I prefer "ammo holder thingy."
Seriously, life's too short to get all wrapped around the axle over silly crap like this. If it's an ongoing issue, I will attempt to educate at some point. It won't keep me up nights, no matter the outcome.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #43

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like my ex-wife.
Oh, my friend....could we talk!!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #44

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I reject the premis of this thread. Who is to say what is normal. Not normal is alot easier to define.

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #45

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
I reject the premis of this thread. Who is to say what is normal. Not normal is alot easier to define.
I'm down with south on this one, this thread is stupid.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #46

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Doesnt bother me if someone calls a ''magazine'' a ''clip'' i've said it. kinda like calling a Engine a Motor...no biggie,I know what you mean.Calling all semiauto rifles "assault rifle/weapons'' I could assault you with a fork! that doesnt make it an assault utensil,does it?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

We could just call it a tuna fish :P

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #48

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Calling a magazine a clip should not bother anyone. Glock makes things out of plastic and calls them Handguns.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #49
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Calling a magazine a clip should not bother anyone. Glock makes things out of plastic and calls them Handguns.
Ha! You're going to make friends with that one!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #50

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lightbulb This is the reason to say clip

Let's put this in a practical situation. 300 zombies are approaching your fortification and you are running low on ammunition:

Do you say, hey Bob throw me another . . .

(a) detachable box magazine.
(b) clip.

I know what I would say!

No need for a conniption. It's short-hand speech just like saying "y'all" or calling an F-105 Thunderchief a Thud.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Closed Thread