Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Re-milling a demilled (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/re-milling-demilled-48157/)

MobileMarine 09-12-2011 03:22 AM

Re-milling a demilled

watching sons of guns .... I know I know . Kinda thought the whole purpose of demilling was to make it legal for us to own . Well they are putting a 20mm anti tank gun back together right now that has been torched to death . I have always wanted a artillery piece myself and Im damn good myself at putting stuff like that back together . BUt would it be legal ? I know putting a full auto demilled ak back in action would be a no no or is all of it a no no

texaswoodworker 09-12-2011 03:31 AM

I'm not sure if it is legal. I think you have to have a special licence to own anything larger than 50 cal though.

Jpyle 09-12-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 578861)
I'm not sure if it is legal. I think you have to have a special licence to own anything larger than 50 cal though.

Most likely a "destructive device" under NFA...

ahole 09-12-2011 03:33 AM

Easy there buddy. Its probably got the same NFA requirements like the FAL,Stien, G3, and other demilled parts kits. something that large might have other tags to go with it.

c3shooter 09-12-2011 09:20 AM

To "remil" a demiled 20 mm, you would need to be licensed as a Manufacturer of Destructive Devices. The remil would have to be registered as a NFA gun. The paperwork alone would give you a hernia.

thdrduck 09-12-2011 12:13 PM

So it's not an issue of cal. size? I can legally own a muzzle loading cannon that is bigger than .50 right?

c3shooter 09-12-2011 12:22 PM

A muzzle loader that uses loose powder is not a firearm. Under Federal law (18 US Code, Section 922) it is an ANTQUE, and not regulated by the 1968 Gun Control Act (Yes, even if made yesterday, it is an antique, not a firearm)

HOWEVER- a CARTRIDGE firearm, made since 1-1-1899, DOES fall under the act. If it has a bore diameter greater than 50 cal, it must have a demonstrated "sporting purpose" (such as your .72 caliber 12 g shotgun) The 20mm has a bore diameter of ABOUT 80 caliber. THAT kicks it into the Destructive Device category.

However, if you have a 6 pounder Napolean cannon, with a 3.00 caliber bore, it is NOT a firearm.

BillM 09-12-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 578981)
To "remil" a demiled 20 mm, you would need to be licensed as a Manufacturer of Destructive Devices. The remil would have to be registered as a NFA gun. The paperwork alone would give you a hernia.

C3--are you sure? An individual can "manufacture" a suppressor, SBR,
SBS or an AOW without a SOT license. Just run the forms through ATF and have your tax stamp in hand before you build. Might that also apply to
Destructive Devices?

texaswoodworker 09-12-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdrduck (Post 579008)
So it's not an issue of cal. size? I can legally own a muzzle loading cannon that is bigger than .50 right?

I believe you can. Muzzleloaders are not concidered "firearms" by the feds so an FFL is not required to buy one and have it shipped to you. .54 is a pretty common bullet for muzzleloaders. (not sure about modern but the old classic style ones use this caliber a lot) I have also seen one as large as .75 (cabelas brown bess musket).:eek:

Oops, c3 beat me to it. :)

therewolf 09-12-2011 12:44 PM

Rendering effective a weapon which was" de-milled" specifically

to render it ineffective would not be smiled upon.

IF you get the proper licensing for a firearm of that magnitude,

it would probably cost less to buy a working unit.

We all already know how screwed up the ATF is, you

probably don't want to get on a personal basis with those guys.