Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Radical anti-gun candidate flying under radar in Virginia special election (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/radical-anti-gun-candidate-flying-under-radar-virginia-special-election-23962/)

Ezliving 02-27-2010 08:14 PM

Radical anti-gun candidate flying under radar in Virginia special election

February 26, 1:25 AMDC Gun Rights ExaminerMike Stollenwerk
Previous
6 comments Print Email RSS Subscribe

http://image3.examiner.com/images/bl...iller-corn.jpg

Eileen Filler-Corn

On Tuesday, March 2d, voters in Fairfax County Virginia's 41st House District will vote in a special election and choose a Delegate to fill the seat vacated by Democrat David Marsden. Prior to Marsden, the 41st District's Delegate seat had traditionally been held by Republicans. See the map of this District here.

So far the only controversy to arise in this campaign is Republican Kerry Bolognese's charge that his opponent, Democrat Eileen Filler-Corn, has been conducting unfair "push-poll" operations against him.

"I'm outraged that that these false claims would be made at all, much less in a sleazy push poll," said Bolognese. "Voters are receiving false information about my record on education when I've spent the last 17 years of my life trying to improve our higher education system and have family in our local public schools."

But this week the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) alerted its members that while Bolognese has completed the League's gun rights candidate survey favorably,
"[u]nfortunately, the Democrat [Filler-Corn] has NOT responded. What is she hiding? Why is she afraid to publicly take a position on this important issue? Why doesn't she want you to know her position?

A subsequent investigation of Ms. Filler-Corn's background by the Examiner.com reveals that Filler-Corn has been a key figure in anti-gun rights organizations and has consistently opposed the right to bear arms in public. At various times between 1998 and 2002, Filler-Corn, a lawyer, and frequent unsuccessful candidate for various public offices in Fairfax County, received endorsements from Jim Brady, represented Handgun Control, Inc., and served as the vice-president and legislative chairman of the Northern Virginia chapter of the Million Mom March.

Over the years, Filler-Corn has supported "zero-tolerance policies regarding weapons on school property," and said she was "horrified" when the General Assembly voted to allow gun owners to carry and store guns in vehicles on school property. Likewise Filler-Corn attacked former Governor George Allen (R) for backing the right to carry handguns in government facilities and restaurants serving alcohol.

And in a letter published in the Connection Newspaper on July 20, 2000, Filler-Corn declared:

"Every person is at risk from a citizen carrying guns in malls, movie theaters, restaurants and on highways."

But in the 41st District today, voters would not know about Filler-Corn's views on gun rights by perusing Filler-Corn's campaign web site or facebook page because they do not contain any mention of this issue despite the fact that expanding gun rights is the focus of much of the General Assembly's agenda this year. Filler-Corn's silence on what was once her life's focus is so remarkable that VCDL President Van Cleave is concerned that Filler-Corn is really just an anti-gun "stealth candidate" flying under the radar. "I really wish she would fill out our survey so our members would know where she stands," said Van Cleave, who subsequently emailed the Examiner.com that

"in 1999 Filler-Corn was proud to push gun control and saw it has something that would propel the Democratic Party forward. Ten years later she's a whole lot quieter about that issue since it has been a loser for Democrats."

Ms. Filler-Corn and her campaign manager declined to return any of the Examiner.com's four phone calls requesting comments for this story.

bkt 02-28-2010 01:39 PM

"Every person is at risk from a citizen carrying guns in malls, movie theaters, restaurants and on highways."
Anyone who can make that comment honestly is not going to engage in honest, rational, informed debate. There's not a lot one can do with that except say "no thanks" at the voting booth.

hillbilly68 02-28-2010 01:51 PM

All I needed to see was the picture and the name... didnt even need to see the writeup to get the point.

IGETEVEN 02-28-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 238303)
All I needed to see was the picture and the name... didnt even need to see the writeup to get the point.

Indeed, that was my very same thoughts hill.

Jack

user4 02-28-2010 03:54 PM

That is a most unfortunate name