Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Question about a possible federal law.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Question about a possible federal law.

Last night my cousin mentioned that its a federal law to have a hunting permit in order t buy a handgun. This was odd considering I just bought my first handgun a couple of months ago and have never had a hunting liscense in my life. I got online and read what I could considering my internet access is limited on my phone and have yet to find anything either supporting or denying his claim. I was wondering if anyone out there knew for sure whether or not this was true.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Be the first I've heard about it. I haven't had a hunting permit in a while and I've bought quite a few handguns and long guns since then. Me thinks your friend is corn-fuzed or maybe there's some local type law?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A local law is my assumption. I've got a friend living with me who's feom Virginia and she said that's how it is up there. I just wanted to make sure there won't any laws that had passed since I bought mine that I wasn't aware of. It seems like a stupid thing to me to make a law requiring a hunting permit for a handgun. I MIGHT be able to see it for rifles/shotguns, cause that's what is primarily used during hunting (at least what I know of it as I've never hunted).

Old 08-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I live Va no permits of any kind need to buy a handgun or rifle. If you have a hunting license though it can count as enough training for you to apply for a conceal carry permit.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess she was mistaken on the VA law. I know here the only permit needed is a purchase permit for a handgun. Long guns need no permit, just the ATF form. As for the ccp, we still got to take the class for it permit or no. I actually took and passed mine not long after I turned 18. Just gotta get the money to go get it.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #6

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Click on your state and see what it says...never heard of the hunting permit thing either...

They keep this site updated pretty regularly...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

FEDERAL means country wide. Your cousin is misinformed.

I had an argument with a young man in one of my college classes. He tried to claim that you must have a state issued permit to buy a handgun in Mississippi. Of course, it was his "friend who's been a cop for twenty years" who told him. I invited him, after being unable to convince him, to come with me to the law library (every library in the state that receives even a penny of state funding gets a complete state law collection), or to come with me to a local dealer and investigate the matter. He refused to be swayed. Some people can't be helped.

I think your cousin is just confused though.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the link vincent. I'll have to check it out later since my phones internet is being a pos and not letting it load after I click on my state.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Your cousin is wrong.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
FEDERAL means country wide. Your cousin is misinformed.

I had an argument with a young man in one of my college classes. He tried to claim that you must have a state issued permit to buy a handgun in Mississippi. Of course, it was his "friend who's been a cop for twenty years" who told him. I invited him, after being unable to convince him, to come with me to the law library (every library in the state that receives even a penny of state funding gets a complete state law collection), or to come with me to a local dealer and investigate the matter. He refused to be swayed. Some people can't be helped.

I think your cousin is just confused though.
He heard it from his brother who although is quite knowledgable sometimes, still has the chance of being misinformed like the rest of us. He took it well when I told him I hadn't heard of any such law so I don't think he's going to keep believing it as truth.

Oh and thank each of you for your imputs. This was something that had me quite confused.