Putting Information about a person on the web - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Putting Information about a person on the web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1945 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 1057

I am not a lawyer (Am engineer- a useful member of society)

^^^Now that's funny!
Bear Waller Gap, Tn.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The problem is solved and the staff deleted his post with the persons personal information. I simple told them that I could report the OP to the FBI Computer hacking division http://www.cybercrime.gov/reporting.htm

Suddenly the post was completely gone.
The OP must be a home body and a hacker with nothing better to do. But if he keeps that up he might wind up in court and/or in jail for hacking personal information.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #13

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

it doesn,t take a hacker to find out certain types of personal info, if you watch how people post, and what is said in posts, people make mistakes, then all it takes is putting two and two together, doing some detective work on the web, and you would be surprised what you can come up with.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know, now he is at it again. This guy is truly obsessed with my friend.
For all out there beware of snackgunner5. He truly has some mental issues going on.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #15

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Lizard Lick NC...
Slick, Oklahoma.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2695 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have heard of this when the user does some REALLY bad stuff. Theft, Fraud, etc. If Joe Douche rips off some members of a forum he should expect to be outed by the admin. Thieves do not deserve privacy.

Illegal? It depends how the info was obtained. Being able to PROVE it was obtained illegally is difficult.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There was no fraud, theft or bad stuff.
My friend decided not sell him his BCM lower and he went on a rapage.
Just because someone changes there mind. They deserve a beat down?
I mean give the guy a break. This is just some douche bag pissed because he decided not to sell him a lower.
Obviously thus guy doesn't want to buy one threw a FFL.
That's my guess.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMjUnKiE View Post
Is it legal to put a person's name and username to different forums on the site of a forum for all to see? Just to ruin the person for no reason. I'm no lawyer but sure sounds like that it's crossing the line and could indeed be illegal.
If he got the username/password by legal means, then the answer is probably "no." For example, if someone uses a username, publishes that information somewhere online, and it later shows up on a google search result, well, nothing that can be done.

Now, if the person illegally obtained the information (hacked into a computer database and stole information), then they would be in trouble for obtaining the information illegally. But I doubt that you could actually get them for anything.

A while back there was a guy who made a serious mistake working public relations for a company, and a news blog did an investigation. Looking up his public email and doing a search for it, they found out that the same email address was used as a username on a Steroid-user's forum. They reported it ("Hey, this email is the same email being used for this Steroid user... coincidence?")

There is no law saying that you can't reveal the name of any particular username for any particular forum; unless the EULA of the forum says that by using the forum, you agree not to. But that would be on iffy grounds for people who don't even USE the forum, and aren't subject to that EULA (say that my brother, who knows my username is, decided to post it on a forum... he can't be beholden to Firearmstalk EULA if he never visited the site).

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Last edited by corrinavatan; 02-05-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just think the whole thing is the biggest douche bag move made so far this year.
Typical *******, I guess.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMjUnKiE View Post
I just think the whole thing is the biggest douche bag move made so far this year.
Typical *******, I guess.
I think what he is doing could be concidered harassment. These sites could help you.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/telecommunications-information-technology/cyberstalking-cyberharassment-and-cyberbullying-l.aspx

http://www.netsafe.org.nz/Doc_Library/netsafepapers_davidharvey_cyberstalking.pdf