Purchasing a rifle out of resident state - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Purchasing a rifle out of resident state

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4442 Times on 2199 Posts
Likes Given: 954

It will depend on the store owner as well. I was REFUSED a sale of a Mosin Nagant in Maine because I had a South Carolina drivers license. He cited Massachusetts law as the reason he wouldn't sell to me. He said it wasn't worth the hassle.

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #12

Hey, I just want to clarify, I am New York state resident, but I don't live in NYC. So I don't have that monkey on my back. What I really would like to buy is not necessarily an AR, but a rifle with a pistol grip, and preferably something more powerful than a measly .22. And as I think a out it, would a Pennsylvania (or any other state for that matter) really be responsible for ensuring that I was following NYS law? Shouldn't that be my responsibility? And does NYS get to determine what a gun dealer in another state sells? I mean, state laws generally end at the border, no? So again, is it legal for me to buy a rifle of my choosing outside of NYS, that is against NYS law? Also, I just want to point out that as far as I know, the law states that the rifle cannot be purchased in NYS. But it does not say I can not own one, so long as I get it registered within one year. Are there any dealers here who can weigh in on this?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #13

Liked 503 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 232

DruidKing, the Pa. dealer that I've made purchases from is very familiar, or was very familiar with NY gun laws, cause he sells to many from NY. No one will sell you legitimately any rifle with a pistol grip, because pistol grips are one of the items that turns an ordinary rifle into an AW. There is something in the new law that under certain conditions exclude curios, which are guns over 50 years old, from many of the regulations. Copies of these weapons aren't included. But I'm not familiar with all the new regulations.

The new law is on the internet for all to see. Some companies are now even refusing to ship to NY magazines that are NY legal. We may as well all have smallpox here in NYS regardless of whether, or not you live in the city.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 01-23-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidKing View Post
So again, is it legal for me to buy a rifle of my choosing outside of NYS, that is against NYS law?
So again, the answer is still no.