Purchasing a rifle out of resident state
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Purchasing a rifle out of resident state

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Purchasing a rifle out of resident state

Hello,
I am looking to purchase a rifle in the next few days in either Pennsylvania, or one of the Virginia's or Carolina's. What I would like to know is whether or not my New York State drivers license will prevent me from buy a rifle of my choosing. Would the dealer say: "hey, you have a NYS drivers license and they don't allow this and that to be purchased there, so I won't sell it to you either!" And do rifles have to be shipped to an FFL? I know hand guns do, but maybe not rifles. I don't think I would technically be breaking any laws so long as I register ownership of the rifle within one year. Would maybe gun shows be a better idea? What do you guys think? I know this may be a legal grey area, but I honestly believe my 2nd amendment trumps ANY unjust state laws. Any and all constructive advice is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1217 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Federal law does not prohibit purchasing a long gun in a state you do not reside in.

You need to check your resident state's laws prior to the purchase, some states may prohibit such transactions.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 01-23-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidKing View Post
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a rifle in the next few days in either Pennsylvania, or one of the Virginia's or Carolina's. What I would like to know is whether or not my New York State drivers license will prevent me from buy a rifle of my choosing. Would the dealer say: "hey, you have a NYS drivers license and they don't allow this and that to be purchased there, so I won't sell it to you either!" And do rifles have to be shipped to an FFL? I know hand guns do, but maybe not rifles. I don't think I would technically be breaking any laws so long as I register ownership of the rifle within one year. Would maybe gun shows be a better idea? What do you guys think? I know this may be a legal grey area, but I honestly believe my 2nd amendment trumps ANY unjust state laws. Any and all constructive advice is appreciated.
I'm a NYS resident and have purchased several used long guns in Pa. from a gun store over the past several years. They take into consideration if the gun you wish to purchase is legal to possess specifically where you live. As an example, NYC has a plethora of guns that are illegal to possess there, but are legal on Long Island and the rest of the state. If the rifle's legal where you live then they'll sell it to you.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It's obvious from your post that you're looking to buy a black rifle as you mention the registration requirement. It is legal for a person to buy a long gun in a state other than their state of residence provided the laws of both state are met and the purchase must be from a dealer. That said, with the new laws in NY, you cannot legally purchase a black rifle. You missed the boat. With the new laws in NY you'll be lucky to find an out of state dealer that will sell you slingshot.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user View Post
It's obvious from your post that you're looking to buy a black rifle as you mention the registration requirement. It is legal for a person to buy a long gun in a state other than their state of residence provided the laws of both state are met and the purchase must be from a dealer. That said, with the new laws in NY, you cannot legally purchase a black rifle. You missed the boat. With the new laws in NY you'll be lucky to find an out of state dealer that will sell you slingshot.
If they do sell you a slingshot don't carry more then 7 rocks in your pocket!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1873 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 691

If I was running a gun shop and someone walked into my shop with a license from anywhere in the northeast I would send them packing. I am not going to law school to sell a gun.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why buy an AR-15 when you can only have 7 shot magazines? No one is even making these as yet. It is my understanding that all magazines in New York state over seven rounds must disposed of by the owners.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Until 4/15 it is legal in NY to sell / purchase 10 round magazines. After that magic date 10 round magazines become illegal, but those owned prior to the magic date will be grandfathered in. But, they can only be loaded with 7 rounds unless one is shooting at a range and/or in competition.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #9

Liked 187 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 107

If you live in New York you can't buy any "scary looking" guns becAuse of our good friend cuomo

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #10

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I want to clear up some misconceptions about this new BS law that NY'ers have to fight. There will be a number of changes before it goes into effect. As of now they're giving residents until April of 2014 to dispose of their hi cap mags, or have them permanently altered. That 7 rd number was a lot of garbage and that'll be changed probably to 10 rounds. I have no idea what will happen concerning those that were previously grandfathered in that exceed 10 which most of us have. They will also want those AW's that were grandfathered in in 2000 to be registered and then probably confiscated. I should have told Druidking that no rifle would be sold to a NYC resident, because it must be registered there and it would have to be sent to an FFL holder.