Purchase question. (background checks) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Purchase question. (background checks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Urban, my suggestion for him would be to contact an attorney and seeing what the legalities are. if i remember correctly even if he didn't serve any time, it would still be classified as a conviction, and that would mean that no, he can't legally purchase a firearm. he should check it out with an attorney and possibly if enough time has passed even though he was convicted of a non-violent crime, he could have his record expunged and then be legally able to purchase firearms.
Before he even paid/spoke to a lawyer, what would it cost him to just ask the DA's office directly?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Before he even paid/spoke to a lawyer, what would it cost him to just ask the DA's office directly?
possibility they might not even talk to him without an attorney. really not for sure how that works. that's why i suggest him getting an attorney. they would know where to go, who to talk to and what actions can be taken and determine all the legal aspects that you and i would have a hard time understanding.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote removed by Mod
No that is a terrible idea and a felony on its own.
Bad advice man.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your input. He is still trying to get the paperwork to show me the full details of the case.
He tells me his father has all the court documents, which makes me think maybe he was charged as a minor and his father had to deal with the legal stuff.

I am going to recommend him to speak to a lawyer as most have suggested, maybe he can find someone to do it pro-bono.

Money is an issue for him at the moment. He is a new father. Just having his first child 1 year ago. This is the reason he wants to make a purchase. With the lack of funding to move into a safer neighborhood, he wanted some sort of home protection. He tried getting a dog but his wife is allergic to animals.

Hopefully sometime soon I can get a look at these records and get a better understanding of the situation.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #25

Quote removed by Mod

surely you're not serious? it can be classed a felony for lying on a document such as the 4473. or didn't you know that? this type of advice isn't just wrong, but way out of line and doesn't help us represent ourselves as being responsible people who are abiding by the law. i am sure there are people who don't own guns, maybe even some anti gun activists who read these posts, remember this is a public forum and anyone with an internet connection could read them, and advice like yours doesn't do any gun owner any good whatsoever. remember that before your post another comment like the last one.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-08-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #26

Barney it wasn't a stupid question if he didn't have the answer to it. remember the saying, the only stupid question is the one not asked. this is a public forum and anyone could view it, and as such, maybe you were being funny or sarcastic, what do we as responsible gun owners want those outside looking in to think of us? i for one don't anyone to think we try and skirt the law and hope we get away with it. better to err on the side of caution.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

Barney, Axxe, went thru and cleaned up quotes.

The two of you shake hands. Kissing is optional.