Purchase Permit MI
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Purchase Permit MI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Purchase Permit MI

Im about to come of probation for safety inspection of a pistol, a 90 day misdemeanor. I want to know if I can still get a permit to purchase a handgun in Michigan. I know that the police might try to hassle me when I go to get a purchase permit because quite frankly, here in Detroit, the police do not want anyone with a handgun and will try in every way to prevent you from having one. So I want to make sure I have my facts straight before I go to get a purchase permit.

I just want to know my rights in being able to legally own a handgun. Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Best bet to be certain is to contact a lawyer in your county or state. Make sure he/she is competent in firearms law. Any answers you get here are worth what you paid for them and you pay the penalty if we're wrong.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #3

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

A misdemeanor cannot effect your rights to purchase a handgun unless it is a misdemeanor involving violence.There may be a time period after your conviction that you have to wait until you may purchase a gun,but i'm not sure.Ultimatley a non violent mideameanor will not effect your gun rights whether it be long gun or handgun,it's just that when you buy a handgun in Michigan,they run your name more thouroughly before they give you a pistol purchasing permit if I am not mistaken.On a good note,if there are mistakes,or things on your record that need to be corrected,the courts can change or remove things off your record the same day through the computer system,that's what happened to me.I was denied a pistol permit because I had a violence misdemeanor on my record,but come to find out there was a note that came up on the background check with the denial,so the sherriffs office called the courts,and come to find out,the charges were actually dropped 11 years previous,so the court made the correction and when they re ran the background check,I was approved and got my pistol permit that day.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
Im about to come of probation for safety inspection of a pistol, a 90 day misdemeanor. I want to know if I can still get a permit to purchase a handgun in Michigan. I know that the police might try to hassle me when I go to get a purchase permit because quite frankly, here in Detroit, the police do not want anyone with a handgun and will try in every way to prevent you from having one. So I want to make sure I have my facts straight before I go to get a purchase permit.

I just want to know my rights in being able to legally own a handgun. Thank you
You may have more success in getting your question answered if you post it here: MGO Community Forum I would expect gun owners in the state of Michigan to have a better handle on your situation than this national forum. Hope that you get the answer that you're looking for.