Public Services and Carry

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Public Services and Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default Public Services and Carry

I'd like to have a discussion about carry and travel. For the record I do not own a pistol. The only firearm in my signature that is personally mine is the Remington 870. The rest of the firearms belong to my father, though we treat them as family guns and are strictly for either the range or for hunting.

So as many of you are aware, you can now travel via Amtrak with your firearms, granted so long as they are in checked luggage. I think this is a great development, but would still like to see the ability for people to carry on the train, long shot though it may be. In my area, we have a CATS bus system, the Charlotte Area Transportation System, a public service with a fee, just like Amtrak. It is however, unlawful to carry a weapon aboard a CATS bus. This makes it quite difficult for me to find my way to a range as I don't have a vehicle of my own.

I'm wondering how everyone else feels about this.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
I'd like to have a discussion about carry and travel. For the record I do not own a pistol. The only firearm in my signature that is personally mine is the Remington 870. The rest of the firearms belong to my father, though we treat them as family guns and are strictly for either the range or for hunting.

So as many of you are aware, you can now travel via Amtrak with your firearms, granted so long as they are in checked luggage. I think this is a great development, but would still like to see the ability for people to carry on the train, long shot though it may be. In my area, we have a CATS bus system, the Charlotte Area Transportation System, a public service with a fee, just like Amtrak. It is however, unlawful to carry a weapon aboard a CATS bus. This makes it quite difficult for me to find my way to a range as I don't have a vehicle of my own.

I'm wondering how everyone else feels about this.
I used to live in NC and in Charlotte for a few years, I'm wondering if there is a sign on the bus that says no firearms? To me it makes no damn sense seeing how if your on a bus or let off in the downtown area that's probably where you will need your weapon the most. To get to a range I guess you take a taxi but that would be a pretty penny depending on where you live. I would look at talking to your representatives to see if they may be able to get some legislation passed to allow citizens to carry on public transportation.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #3

Code of Conduct

Quite strict eh? Can't even have a lighter, technically.

Charlotte Code Sec. 15-272 and 15-273. The code refers to Section 15-14 for definition of a weapon and those exempt from the law.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 11-07-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

The system in Switzerland makes sense to me. Make sure to have your name, address, and phone number attached to your rifle- in case you should forget, and leave it on the streetcar. That way it can be returned to you.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Code of Conduct

Quite strict eh? Can't even have a lighter, technically.

Charlotte Code Sec. 15-272 and 15-273. The code refers to Section 15-14 for definition of a weapon and those exempt from the law.
Well they can't say anything if they can't see it. I had an Illinois cop that i know tell me once about carrying through Illinois. He asked me if I had been stop before in Illinois, yeah one time. He said and how many times did they search you, my response was none. He then says well if they don't know about it them it doesn't hurt..lol thought that was funny coming from an IL cop. So you can carry open in Charlotte but can't ride a bus with a gun with all the degenerates that are lurking by. Yep that makes sense. How far do you live from Firepower in Matthews?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #6

If you take WT Harris, it's only 15 miles, 25 minutes. But by bus it would be about an hour and a half ordeal. Eagle Gun and Range is a bit closer, 9 miles 15 minutes by car, 55 minutes by the bus, but they only have a 25 yard range. I have a friend who rents guns now and again at Shooters Express, I've been trying to hook up with him when he goes, but they're website says .30 cal soft core limit. A little bit impinging for my .76 cal but maybe they'll let me use buckshot... If I can find any. Would you believe that in the midst of hunting season, not one box of buckshot to be seen in Bass Pro shops? tsk tsk.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 11-07-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #7

Quote:
If you take WT Harris, it's only 15 miles, 25 minutes. But by bus it would be about an hour and a half ordeal. Eagle Gun and Range is a bit closer, 9 miles 15 minutes by car, 55 minutes by the bus, but they only have a 25 yard range. I have a friend who rents guns now and again at Shooters Express, I've been trying to hook up with him when he goes, but they're website says .30 cal soft core limit. A little bit impinging for my .76 cal but maybe they'll let me use buckshot... If I can find any. Would you believe that in the midst of hunting season, not one box of buckshot to be seen in Bass Pro shops? tsk tsk.
I'd say load up on a lot of ammo and head out to Uwaharrie National Park do some camping and a lot's of shooting. I think their range goes up to 100 yards. Nonetheless it's good times out there, it's about 3 hrs from Charlotte I believe but maybe you buddy will bite on a camping and shooting trip. You use to be able to bring any kind of targets ie dresser, dishwasher, whatever you wanted as long as you cleaned it up and it use to be free I don't know if it still is though. I left the city 6 years ago.

Member:

Last edited by silverado113; 11-07-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #8

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

IMO, RKBA all the way.

Unlimited open and concealed carry.

Punish violence. Punish criminal behavior.

Making guns illegal is like making liquor illegal

because of the occasional drunk.

Think of it like this:

--- As a bank robber, how willing would you be to hold up

a bank at gunpoint if you knew the tellers, bank officers, and all the

bank customers were carrying?

---As a plane hijacker how willing would you be, if you knew that 88 other

9/11 & TSA pissed-off passengers were also carrying guns?

---As a mugger, would you be willing to jump that woman with the handbag,

knowing there's a 95% chance she'll try to shoot you down like a dog

in the street?

I could do this all day...

Last edited by therewolf; 11-08-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

If I can't carry on a transit I won't get on one.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Any local forums with some lawyers? I've learned how crazy MI laws are and the illegal attempts by local municipalities to restrict firearms. A posted sign is meaningless if it's not legal.