Property owners and guns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Property owners and guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 721 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 1704

I work in an office tower, at the corporate headquarters of a large banking organization, and there is a strict "no firearms" policy on company premises (which includes the company-owned parking lot in which I park each day, and violation is subject to immediate dismissal from employment). I could park in a non-company owned lot or garage, but then I'd have to pay for it. It's private property, so I can either go along with it or find another job, and to jeopardize a well-paying job in this economy is not a wise thing to do. Besides, I don't have a carry permit yet anyway.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #22

Default A decision with consequences

It is up to the owner of the property to decide who and/or what he wants on his property. Now, if the owner is smart enough, he won't exclude people or things that would damage his business. Refusal (or acceptance) also tends to attract government interference--just ask business owners in the South during the 50's and 60's.

Many retail operations give tacit acceptance to concealed carry (open carry is more of a problem due to other patron's reactions). Starbuck's has recently endured much hostile press due to their refusal to ban armed citizens from their stores. The AMC theater in my home town posted a "No Guns" sign, so I don't go there. However, I do buy coffee!

An organization in Missouri a couple of years ago printed up cards that could be given to businesses that ban guns saying basically, No guns, no business. Not a bad idea. The dollar (or lack thereof) speaks loudly.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #23

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
On a business trip to NC, I just encountered a hotel with a "No firearms" sign. With wording that made it clear it applied to CCW permit holders. Left my piece in the car. Asked to speak to the manager. Advised him I had a reservation for the next 3 nights that HE had just canceled by his policy that was not made known at the time I made my reservation- and that me, my sidearm, AND MY MONEY were going to another hotel. I also filed a complaint with the hotel chain (Platinum member of their rewards program)

They are free to do what they like with their property. I am free to do what I like with my money- and I will make sure they understand that their choices carry consequences.
Marriot is taking a lot of heat for the same issue. Last week they apparently placed the "No Firearms" signs at their hotels in NC...for the NRA convention!!!!

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #24

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Marriot is taking a lot of heat for the same issue. Last week they apparently placed the "No Firearms" signs at their hotels in NC...for the NRA convention!!!!
Wow. That was stupid. I would think that group of people brought a crap load of money to spend. I guess they spent it somewhere else.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Wow. That was stupid. I would think that group of people brought a crap load of money to spend. I guess they spent it somewhere else.
Was more than stupid, it made instant criminals of everyone with a CCW and jeapordized their permits. Worse still, the signs were put in place during the event, well AFTER check-in.

Marriott exposes NRA conventioneers to criminal prosecution

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #26

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Every gun show I have ever been to has big signs posted everywhere saying , no loaded firearms allowed, some require zip ties around the chamber or other measures to make it visible that the gun is not loaded. For anyone who says they vote with their wallet and won't support businesses who restrict firearms, do you go to gun shows that restrict them?

Or is this a law? I always assumed it was the gun show making the rule for liability purposes.

I say property owners make the rules, it's supposed to be their property. I agree you you totally Lastcrow, no smoking laws are stupid and I think should not exist, however I would choose a no smoking restaurant over a restaurant that allowed smoking by choice.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Yunus- same reason most gun shops have a "No loaded guns" requirement- they are both locations where firearms are handled a GREAT deal. However, in most shops, and every gun show I go to, there are armed police officers working the show, and the gun shop owners are usually armed. Think this is good reasoning, for same rationale as not carrying a loaded firearm inside an explosives magazine, a jail, or a psych ward. Altho I do admit the last couple of gun shows I made DID resemble a psych ward (You want HOW MUCH for that?)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 AM   #28

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Unless there's a metal detector, IGNORE the signs. Personally I would not do business with anyone who posted a private business in this way but if I have no choice, again, I ignore the sign.