proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62

Then you were a bad cop and a law breaker and no better than the "smartasses" you were pulling over. If I'd been your superior and had found out what you were doing you'd have been arrested and prosecuted. Convicted or not your badge-carrying days would've been over. Just the fact the you not only admit this on an open forum but seem to take a certain smug pride in it speaks volumes about what kind of individual you are. I've never been a LEO but I have been a professional and in any of the military units in which I served you'd have lasted about a day.
Good thing we didn't serve in the same units.
19th MP Battalion let me last for 9 years.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #52

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
In Texas you are required to show proof that you actually own a gun
Yup- you would be concidered very suspisious if you didn't have one (at least)

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #53

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I would check the state laws on ccw. I don't think you have to show proof of ownership. When I got my ccw I asked my local sharif office if I had to transfer the gun in my name. My mom bought it for me as a gift when I was about 18. They said no I did not have to put it in my name. They also said a ccw permit allows you to have possession of a hand gun it has nothing to do with ownership. They will check to see if your permit is valid in that state. But things may be a little different here in AL.
Here during a privet sale you give the guy the money he gives you the gun end of story. Could come in handy if you don't wont the gov to know you have it. But then you can be buying a gun that was used in a recent bank robbery. So to cover your own a** you can do a bill of seal.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #54
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7101 Times on 4274 Posts
Likes Given: 8608

Even in Illinois we don't have to show proof of ownership if we have a gun. But we do have to prove that we have a Firearms Owner Identification Card.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #55

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Even in Illinois we don't have to show proof of ownership if we have a gun. But we do have to prove that we have a Firearms Owner Identification Card.
That just seems---well---WRONG

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #56

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have been through livestock checks. You do have to prove the animals you are carrying have their shots and required tests. But as far as weapons the officer in the car can call in the serial numbers to see if the weapon is stolen. Beyond that I have never been asked to prove anything more in over 35 years of travel.

If you are returning from a hunt there are regulations regarding how you handle the meat due to outbreaks of chronic wasting disease. In NC when returning from a hunt you can't bring any part of a game animals spine or brain back into the state. I don't know if people passing through have to meet the same requirements. To be on the safe side it's best to leave the brain and spine of what you kill in the state you killed it. I would hate to know I wiped out the local deer or elk herd because I didn't cut up meat properly.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/