proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #31
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2042 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
And if you call 10 times, talk to 10 different people, you will get 8 different answers.
Only 8? If you talk long enough to one of them you may get two answers from that one, so wouldn't that be eleven?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default proof of ownership....

Yeah, god luck with that "bought at gun show from old fella walking about".
OK, maybe that Rossi .357 revolver bought last fall on sale, I'd have a proof.....
in my records at home.
Do run numbers to see if on a stolen list.
I am still looking for two Colt 1917 revolvers 45 acp and Norwegian 11.25 mm stolen in the early 1990's.
But, other than that possibility, big deal.

Relative in Massachusetts teaches for state carry license. Take class, the apply for license. Sounds backwards from here in Texas.

Take care out there, y'all

Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #33

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp

We always carried a little something with us that would act as probable cause when we encountered someone like you.
Wow, are you admitting to or condoning planting evidence? No wonder myself and many others don't trust cops anymore.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You can start with the H&R .410 shotgun I was given on the day I was born. Originally bought through the mail by my grandad- around 1917.
Wow, you are older than I thought. Geeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
We always carried a little something with us that would act as probable cause when we encountered someone like you.

The uncooperative, the belligerent, the smartasses, the ones that liked to quote what they believe the law say's, and the downright stupid, all grabbed our attention. The others we warned or cited and let them
be on their way.

LEO's are people too. Be respectful and courteous and you will get the same in return.

If you can't do that, then learn to drive better and you won't get stopped in the first place.
In no way did I get the impression JonM would have been rude. He said he would refuse to permit them to search but would not resist. He specifically said if the cop got in his face and yelled he would calmly reply "No sir, you do not have permission for a search".

And I have never, ever been stopped at any 'checkpoints' between states.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default stopped on the Interstate

One of our sports car racer folk was pulled over years ago for some supposed infraction.
The one of two officers noted a spare tire in the bed of the one-ton dually, diesel, four door pick up hauling the gooseneck trailer with the race cars inside.

This worthy "knew" there was something about the rig that was fishy.
Hey, the loose spare tire was a different size than the other tires.
And it was for a General Motors bolt pattern and this was a Ford.

This lady racer lost 6+ hours and finally let them check the tire to ensure no contraband was in the tire--or elsewhere in the rig.

Finally a call from the team owner came through with his lawyer on the other phone.

Got out of town, never to return,.

Some 12-15 years ago.

Don't talk back to the LEO. Some have set notions and will pull over what their heart is set on.

Repair shop owner checked a sheriffs deputy's records. All his DWI's were Ford pick up trucks.

A cousin was driving on a cross country tour. A sign informed of "Drug Enforcement Task Force Checkpoint" ahead.
But the exit to his sister's home was before the checkpoint?
Not!
The checkpoint is here.
Out of state plates, camper shell on the diesel 3/4 ton p/u, former part time cop during the summer when school teacher not needed, and when the drug sniffing dog came over, cousin's two Dalmations went nuts.
Big hassle and no search here officer, no way.
His brother, a plumber had to go through that interstate intersection 6 times that day.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #36

Drug enforcement task force? Doesn't that violate unreasonable search and seizure?

I had an interesting conversation at a sobriety checkpoint. I don't agree with these. I feel, with what I know of the laws (and I admit, I'm not an expert), that these are a violation of my rights.

At the check point, the officer asked me where I was traveling from, first question.

I stopped him, and said "first off, I believe in this state I have to inform you I'm traveling armed"

He said that's fine, but where are you coming from?

I replied, "look, having done law enforcement myself, I know your just needing me to talk so you can smell my breath. I'll do all the talking you want, but you can't expect me to reveal what I consider to be my personal business"

"what do you have to hide?"

"Nothing. I even told you I'm armed"

"have you been drinking?"

"no, and if I'd asked that in military police, I wouldn't be able to use the answer in court"

Then the Louie comes over.

"why are you giving my officer a hard time?"

"whose business is it where I've been? You're not my wife, she's the only one who can rightfully ask me that as far as I'm concerned"

"license, insurance, and registration"

(being that in Mississippi, you DO have to present DL, registration, and proof of insurance (the latter two only when operating), upon demand by law enforcement, I complied immediately, in fact, expecting to have to present them, I already had them in my hand)

"Here ya go. Nice boots. They look familiar"

Just a short moment later...

"okay sir, your insurance, license, and registration came back clean, you have a nice night."

"thank you"

"by the way, how do my boots look familiar?"

*Driving off* "I saw them in almost every movie that has nazis"

Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

"Where are you headed, sir?"

"Your house. Your wife called, and told me you would be tied up working the DUI Checkpoint for a while..."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #38

Good one... I'm going to have to remember that...

Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #39
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

A smart-ass friend of mine who is well connected with more than one local Judge told me about the following experience he had after leaving a parking lot in a rural town around here with a little too much zip in his getalong.

Cop- "Where you coming from?"

Smart Ass-pointing his thumb to the rear- "Back thataway."

Cop- "Where you headed?"

Smart Ass- Pointing forward "Thataway."

Cop- "Any guns or drugs in the vehicle?"

Smart Ass- "Why? Are you out?"

Cop- "Keep your hands where I can see them and step out of the vehicle."

It went downhill from there once the cop found a loaded handgun in Smart Ass's briefcase. He spent two hours handcuffed on the curb before he was let go. I still don't know how he pulled that one off or if he was just bulsh!tting me as to what he said, but knowing him I wouldn't be surprised if it is not close to the truth, and several other people I know did see him cuffed on the curb and then let go, and I do know he carries a Glock 20 in his briefcase (no CCW- generally not available in his county).

Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
by the way, how do my boots look familiar?"

*Driving off* "I saw them in almost every movie that has nazis"
thats funny right there.

i had a cop stop my for an alleged seat belt violation. And I was wearing the seat at the time.
He ask where I was coming from: I replied Back there. He asked where I was going/ I replied that way as I pointed down the road. I was not giving the jerk anything.

45 Junkie

Last edited by MarkAD; 10-01-2012 at 05:08 AM.