Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1338 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 3322

Well then I will split the difference and then flip a coin. Either that or I will read the books provided by the ATF. One of those options has to be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
And if you call 10 times, talk to 10 different people, you will get 8 different answers.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #22

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Actualy a citable offense. TWIT is the charge (Texan With Insufficient Toolage). Not having a gun, a truck, a pair of boots and fence pliers.

You can check Vernon's Annotated Statutes for proof if you do not believe me. The charge is rarely filed in the urban areas.
Not complying with the above statement can cause one to lose their permission to hunt all across the US. There is nothing that pisses a farmer off more than driving by a downed fence and not doing someting about it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #23

Liked 2408 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1891

OP, I travel from Florida to Canada and back, on a regular basis, and have

never encountered a border stop or checkpoint, within the US, for any reason.

Is there a state somewhere, away from the east coast, of which I'm unaware,

which stops you at the

border, and makes you prove you have a gun?

What if you never bought one?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Quote:
What if you never bought one?
They make you go live in New York.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 09-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #25

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed-citizen View Post
ive never been asked to show proof, though i it came to me, is there such a thing? I mean, even if your stopped for a traffic violation, one must first of all state theres a firearm in the car. How would they know its truly yours besides trusting your words stating its yours?
the sky is not falling.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #26

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Unless I'm required by a CC permit law, I will not offer any info on what's in my vehicle nor agree to any search. If asked about weapons in the vehicle, I'll ask 1) Why was I stopped?, 2) Why I'm being detained? and 3) Am I under arrest? Without the answers to these questions, I'll not answers their's.

PS: If they check my cell phone They'll find my 2 attorney numbers listed right at top of my list.

Last edited by RaySendero; 09-29-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

i never consent to a search. if they want to search me they can arrest me and get a warrant. if they have no cause to arrest and search without a warrant then i got a pretty good case for harrassment. i wont resist their search but i will not give permission as i dont like giving an excuse to be shot tasered or peppered or get a resisting arrest charge... however even if they find jimmy hoffa's body in my glove box its inadmissable without a warrant or probable cause.

being an ass and beligerent will escalate to the point of probable cause. if the cop gets in my face and yells or threatens (common tactic used to be police) ill just calmly say "No sir, you do not have permission for a search"

staying calm and refusing permission without being a d*ck about it removes that option for police escalation. ill sit on the side of the road and let em piss and moan about wasting time i enjoy have nothing better to do than sit and look at morons. its a hobby of mine. heh

but i dont find myself under the scrutiny of police much at all as i dont do things that draw attention

my firearms are listed with my insurance company for insurance purposes. im not worried about plots to confiscate as its almost certainly not going to start with a knock on my door and ill have time to take action and conserve my firearms.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-30-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #28

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i never consent to a search. if they want to search me they can arrest me and get a warrant. if they have no cause to arrest and search without a warrant then i got a pretty good case for harrassment. i wont resist their search but i will not give permission as i dont like giving an excuse to be shot tasered or peppered or get a resisting arrest charge... however even if they find jimmy hoffa's body in my glove box its inadmissable without a warrant or probable cause.

being an ass and beligerent will escalate to the point of probable cause. if the cop gets in my face and yells or threatens (common tactic used to be police) ill just calmly say "No sir, you do not have permission for a search"

staying calm and refusing permission without being a d*ck about it removes that option for police escalation. ill sit on the side of the road and let em piss and moan about wasting time i enjoy have nothing better to do than sit and look at morons. its a hobby of mine. heh

but i dont find myself under the scrutiny of police much at all as i dont do things that draw attention

my firearms are listed with my insurance company for insurance purposes. im not worried about plots to confiscate as its almost certainly not going to start with a knock on my door and ill have time to take action and conserve my firearms.
We always carried a little something with us that would act as probable cause when we encountered someone like you.

The uncooperative, the belligerent, the smartasses, the ones that liked to quote what they believe the law say's, and the downright stupid, all grabbed our attention. The others we warned or cited and let them be on their way.

LEO's are people too. Be respectful and courteous and you will get the same in return.

If you can't do that, then learn to drive better and you won't get stopped in the first place.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7667 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9888

I haven't been stopped very often and only once have I been asked if they could search my vehicle (I was 17 or 18 at the time). They found a small unopened bottle of tequila that one of my passengers left under a jacket on the back seat which they made us pour out. They missed the five cases of beer in the trunk though which is pretty funny because when they told me to put the empty tequila bottle in the trunk I asked if they wanted to search that as well and they said no, so I just opened it enough to slip the bottle in and closed it.

I haven't been asked since then. But if I ever am I will politely say no.

I have driven cross country many times over the years and never once been asked at a state line or anywhere else. Has anyone else been asked?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #30

Liked 2408 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1891

So, I'm driving along, and I come to this new border check point

I've never heard of, (no offense, dude, but you need to take a

vacation, occasionally...) and I say to the officer-"Sir, I have a CC

permit, and I have a loaded gun in the car."

Somehow, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind

around the LEO responding with-"Prove you own it."...