Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/proof-firearm-ownership-needed-state-borders-73300/)

Armed-Citizen 09-27-2012 09:18 PM

proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders?

occasionaly i travel out of state w/in u.s and have never been bothered to show proof of ownership for m firearm(s). if asked, what does one have to show?

Bob Wright 09-27-2012 09:30 PM

Who is stopping and asking you this? What state, or states, operate checkpoints?

I've never been asked nor stopped for such information.

Bob Wright

bkt 09-27-2012 11:35 PM

If you're carrying concealed, I can see LEO's asking to see your permit and verifying there's reciprocity with the state you just entered, but that's it. Asking for proof of ownership for long guns you have locked in the trunk is not something I've ever heard of. What, exactly, is the situation you're talking about?

Armed-Citizen 09-27-2012 11:42 PM

ive never been asked to show proof, though i it came to me, is there such a thing? i mean, even if your stopped for a traffic violation, one must first of all state theres a firearm in the car. how would they know its truly yours besides trusting your words stating its yours?

danf_fl 09-27-2012 11:56 PM

You could keep a bill-of-sale in the glove box.

c3shooter 09-28-2012 12:02 AM

I know of no requirement to prove that you own a firearm that you are moving from one state to another.

If you think about it, there will be times when you do NOT own the gun- it is perfectly legal in MOST states to LOAN a gun for a legitimate purpose (loaned son-in-law a deer rifle) and that is NOT a "transfer of ownership" as regulated by Federal law.

And frankly, I would love to see someone "prove" that I own some of the guns I have. You can start with the H&R .410 shotgun I was given on the day I was born. Originally bought through the mail by my grandad- around 1917. Then move on to about a dozen Mossberg .22 rifles. Made prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act, they do not have, and have never had a serial number. Likewise some of my Remingtons, and a couple of High Standard shotguns.

locutus 09-28-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen (Post 956972)
ive never been asked to show proof, though i it came to me, is there such a thing? i mean, even if your stopped for a traffic violation, one must first of all state theres a firearm in the car. how would they know its truly yours besides trusting your words stating its yours?

Why would you do that?? I wouldn't.

Unless you're carrying concealed. Then you must show him your permit.

Armed-Citizen 09-28-2012 12:46 AM

im simply trying to obey laws and seek if im ignorantly not obeying one of them.

Armed-Citizen 09-28-2012 12:47 AM

in other words, just trying to remove doubt by looking around : )

robocop10mm 09-28-2012 01:51 AM

In Texas you are required to show proof that you actually own a gun :)