problem picking up a gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > problem picking up a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default problem picking up a gun

Ok I live here in KY and both my parents do too, today my mom went to pick a 1911 for a gift for my dad. Within the past month and a half she bought two other pistols and when she went in today she put down the rest of the money but when it came to the back ground check they said she couldn't pick it up because of unidentified reasons.

She doesn't have any criminal issues or mental and shes bought guns before so what the hell?

Has anyone else had this problem?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #2

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

No, I have heard of this but I have bought quite a few firearms over the years and have not run into this problem personally. Is there some way that she can check and see what the problem is?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

It could be that she might have been mistaken for somebody else during the background check. I have heard of that happening to people even when they have bought many guns from the same shop. Something on the ATF side throws flags because of mistaken identity. I have even heard of this happening to a police officer when he went to a shop to buy something for himself.

My suggestion is for her to go back to the shop, explain to them that she thinks something might be wrong with the background check because she has no criminal record etc, and ask them nicely if they will try again. Also, although it is optional, by providing her Social Security number she could help prevent a mistaken identity.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #4

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

If you Mom has a common name, things like that can pop up. If you put your SSN on the form it can make the process smoother.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I was once held up for about 12 hours before the dealer got the ok. We have waiting periods in Illinois so it didn't really matter.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

The third purchase within a month and a half triggered a ATF warning that it could be a straw purchases. It will take 48 hrs to clear up otherwise she can pick it up after that if the FBI does not get back on the hold and deny the purchase.

Jim

Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
The third purchase within a month and a half triggered a ATF warning that it could be a straw purchases. It will take 48 hrs to clear up otherwise she can pick it up after that if the FBI does not get back on the hold and deny the purchase.

Jim
I bought two more pistols today after buying one about two weeks ago. Today's call went through in about 30 seconds. I don't think the straw purchase thing is it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #8

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

The last few guns Ive bought have been delayed at least 4 days for some reason. Its kinda a running joke at my LGS. It doesn't bother me because I know eventually I will get approved. I always do.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #9

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
I bought two more pistols today after buying one about two weeks ago
That's only one call for both guns and one call for the one two weeks ago. My understanding is you can put up to 5 guns on one call.

Jim

Old 04-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

All the more reason to get a CCP if your state laws allow you to purchase and not have to have a background check if you present your CCP

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"