Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > "The Pro-Gun Movement's Total Disregard for Our Constitution"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Default "The Pro-Gun Movement's Total Disregard for Our Constitution"

What is this I don't even...

The sheer ignorance in this article is astounding. Hold on to your seats boys (and girls). This ones a doozy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-horwitz/oh-ye-of-little-faith-the_b_1889553.html

Some of the only people left defending the constitution are now apparently against it, in this twisted, backwards liberal world we live in.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Last edited by gmaster456; 09-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4239

And from Mr. Horowitz, Sarah Brady's lapdog, you would expect...........what??

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The author is an idiot.

Quote:
The Founders were telling the world that this brilliant new system of government -- this social compact -- would secure individual rights on a scale previously unknown in the civilized world. They protected liberty not by creating a libertarian society where every citizen was in it solely for himself, but by establishing a strong, energetic government and stressing civic responsibility.
You can't protect individual rights by establishing a strong government. Those are contradictory concepts. In fact, government was comparatively weak vis-a-vis other governments of the day.

Our system of government, as defined by the Founders, is far, far more libertarian than anything either democrats or republicans embrace today.

Civic responsibility is apart from government. Individuals should help others in need. Government should not have a hand in requiring individuals to help others in need. To do so leads to...well, where we are today.

Quote:
In the face of this history and the plain terms of the Constitution itself, it is amazing to see modern insurrectionists like Judge Roy Moore, the controversial former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice, write things like, "Liberty and freedom are gifts of God, and not the government. The means by which we secure those gifts are ultimately in the hands and the 'arms' of the people." It's as if Moore is totally unaware of all the robust protections for individual rights spelled out in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. The idea of liberty may be a "gift of God," but the Framers knew it could only be safeguarded if a robust government was in place to arbitrate private disputes and guarantee that each citizen has an equal voice in the affairs of the nation.
Mr. Horowitz doesn't seem to grasp that our system of government bears no resemblance to the current operation, size and scope of government today. It is not our system of government these people are objecting to, but the degree of liberty, if you'll excuse the expression, government has taken.

The constitution defines the responsibilities and limitations of the federal government. Arbitration is not among its responsibilities, nor is it solely to ensure we each have an "equal voice". It is to ensure we all have unlimited freedom with the exception that none may injure another physically or through coercion or theft.

I could go on, but why waste the time? Horowitz is a tool of the left. A firm, fruity tool.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
The author is an idiot.
Horowitz is a tool of the left. A firm, fruity tool.
Much like a banana. Found firmly planted in the tailpipes of many leftist motors for change.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Well you guys are right, this guy is a lefty hack who obviously hasn't read enough of Wayne LaPierre's opinions, thoughts, treatises, etc. to even form a valid opinion about the man's depth of concern for our individual rights and the liberties granted our nation as a whole.

I like this line:

Quote:
Pro-gun leaders like NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre would have us believe that "the guys with the guns make the rules" in our democracy.
No, the senators and congressmen make the laws in this country and they may not be "packing", but they sure have people with guns to back them up, from the military to the police.

I could post more but you guys are right, it's not worth the time of day. But I will say this, guys like this irritate the bejesus out of me, sort of like a fly buzzing around your head that won't go away.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ignorant bastards.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
gripper Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I believe the term is "Educated beyond his intelligence". The BOR lists things that a "strong central government" is NOT allowed to do.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 09-18-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

This is really quite amusing, and bkt has done a wonderful job of cutting it up for us, but I'll just add that the founding fathers would have never approved of what we've become. They wanted states to govern themselves and the fed to be a small part of helping to resolve disputes between states. The first two amendments they considered the most important because any citizen should be able to speak against government, and if that doesn't work, the citizenry should be able to remove corrupt government...IF ALL ELSE FAILS. The purpose would not be anarchy, but to restore government to what the people want.

Quote:
. Nonetheless, Moore is far from alone in his belief that only private violence can be trusted to "secure the Blessings of Liberty."
"Private violence" has nothing to do with this discussion and just more proof the writer has no concept of what the founding fathers intended for America.

By the way, reading literature on what the founding fathers DID intend is a great way to blow these idiots out of the water every time you see them. Stephen P. Halbrook is a great author and one of only two publishers read by the Supreme Court on the issue in his book, "The Founder's Second Amendment: Origin of the Right to Bear Arms" http://amzn.com/1566637929 which kept us from losing that right. Well worth checking out if you want verbal and intellectual ammunition.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #9

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I think I just threw up in mouth after reading that.

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 09-18-2012 at 01:14 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #10

Liked 589 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

My IQ score just dropped.