Private sale of pistol with transfer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Private sale of pistol with transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Private sale of pistol with transfer

So, I want to sell a .45 to a private buyer in the same town as I live. He doesn't have a CCW permit, so trying to do the right thing, I offer to split the transfer fee and go through my local pawn shop FFL so they can do a background check on him to make sure I'm not selling to a felon.

No can do.

They won't do it. They need to have it sent to them by another FFL. So I'd have to take it somewhere else, and have them SHIP it to the place down the street, then they can do the background check and transfer. All that would eat up all profit plus some of the cost of the gun.

I just wanted to do the right thing, but I can't.

Any suggestions? Otherwise, I'm going to sell to him as long as he lets me take a picture of his drivers license so I have a record. This seems ludicrous to me. Am I missing something?

12FRETTER

Last edited by JonM; 05-14-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: fixed title

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6359 Times on 3553 Posts
Likes Given: 5933

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
So, I want to sell a .45 to a private buyer in the same town as I live. He doesn't have a CCW permit, so trying to do the right thing, I offer to split the transfer fee and go through my local pawn shop FFL so they can do a background check on him to make sure I'm not selling to a felon.

No can do.

They won't do it. They need to have it sent to them by another FFL. So I'd have to take it somewhere else, and have them SHIP it to the place down the street, then they can do the background check and transfer. All that would eat up all profit plus some of the cost of the gun.

I just wanted to do the right thing, but I can't.

Any suggestions? Otherwise, I'm going to sell to him as long as he lets me take a picture of his drivers license so I have a record. This seems ludicrous to me. Am I missing something?
Go to another FFL. This jackass is ripping you off. What you are trying to do is done be thousands of FFLs every day.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Since that ffl doesnt seem to understand the rules well i wouldnt do business with him. Find a different ffl.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I called a second place and he told me that they would have to take the gun in on consignment, then sell it to the guy for me, and do the transfer and background check then. All for a fee of course.

I called a third place and they said they could do it by first running a check on the firearm to make sure it wasn't stolen, then transfer and background check on the new guy, all totalling $50.

12FRETTER

Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
I called a second place and he told me that they would have to take the gun in on consignment, then sell it to the guy for me, and do the transfer and background check then. All for a fee of course.

I called a third place and they said they could do it by first running a check on the firearm to make sure it wasn't stolen, then transfer and background check on the new guy, all totalling $50.
The second one is how its done as all the ffl has to do is take it in on his book run their check or not that is up to the ffl then xfer to the buyer. their 50$ fee is how they make money for the work your asking them to do.

First one is not typical.

Legally all you have to do is take the person's dl info and statement there is nothing preventing them from purchase.

Personally i dont sell guns to anyone without going through a ffl. If the buyer doesnt want to go that route it raises red flags with me. I dont want any gun i sell ending up in a chitcago type obama blessed murder spree.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 994 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Go to another FFL, they one you are dealing with is full of BS!

Look up FFL's in your area call them and tell them what you want to do. Ask how much they charge.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6359 Times on 3553 Posts
Likes Given: 5933

You can't get a NICS check as an individual.

But most police departments will work with if you ask for an NCIC check. Be sure to get the name of the person at the P.D.

BTW, as long as you have the guys DL number, and his signature on a Bill of Sale, you're pretty well covered.

I also copy his license number on his vehicle.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

what does YOUR state law require?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7688 Times on 4175 Posts
Likes Given: 16107

Does the buyer have a pistol permit?

image-3050233243.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

In NC, I can have the county sheriff check the weapon Sn. first. Then ask them what they would do next. Then do it. My $.02 FWIW.