Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Private purchase out of state laws

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidKing View Post
So is there really no way to buy a rifle through a private deal? I thought that if Joe Blow wanted to sell me his own gun that everything would be cool. Whatever happened to this "Gun Show Loop Hole" that everyone talks about? I thought that the laws regarding sale between private citizens were different than those involving a dealer... This is annoying me.

Does anyone know when the NYS gun laws expire? I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere.
Private sales can take place only between residents of the same state. Any gun that crosses a state line must be transferred by a dealer (FFL) and requires a background check. Long arms can be transferred by a dealer in the state of sale, handguns must be shipped to a FFL in the buyers state of residence.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Quote:
Whatever happened to this "Gun Show Loop Hole" that everyone talks about? I thought that the laws regarding sale between private citizens were different than those involving a dealer
That "Gun show loophole" ranks up there with Kosher ham, dehydrated water, and low salt brine.

Yes, the laws ARE different for sales between private persons. That is why a DEALER can sell a rifle to someone from another state, and a private person cannot.

As has been said by several folks here- this is governed by FEDERAL law- there is not question of a state law allowing something less stringent. It applies in all 50 (or 57) states.

The ONLY time that a firearm can be transferred private party to private party WITHOUT going thru a FFL holder is in the case of INHERITANCE of a firearm. The Executor of an estate CAN ship a firearm directly to an inheritor IF ownership of the firearm in legal in the inheritor's state.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Closed Thread