Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Private purchase out of state laws (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/private-purchase-out-state-laws-84024/)

DruidKing 02-12-2013 05:50 AM

Private purchase out of state laws

What are the laws regarding the private sale of rifles between states? Currently I am a resident of NYS (But not NYC), and I am going to be visiting a gun show in Philly March 8-10. A dealer that I frequent suggested that I MIGHT be able to legally buy the rifle (A FS2000 if you're curious) there if I can find a private dealer. Apparently the laws allow you to make private purchases of guns that had been grandfathered in. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Also completely off topic... Anyone have an FS2000? what do you think of it? :D

tCan 02-12-2013 05:55 AM

I was under the impression that buying any gun out of state was against federal law. Probably just a bunch of malarkey I've been fed...

danf_fl 02-12-2013 10:12 AM

A private transfer over state lines requires that the buyer do the transaction through an FFL holder.

nicklarimore 02-12-2013 10:55 AM

Not sure about New York but in my store ( in ky) we get a lot of buyers from Indiana. We can sell them long guns and handguns but we have to send the hand gun to an ffl in Indiana where the purchaser will then fill out the papers. So I would check to make sure there aren't any little laws like that.

c3shooter 02-12-2013 11:37 AM

Sale of ANY firearm to the resident of a different state by a private person is unlawful- Federal law Title 18 US Code section 922. A DEALER may sell a rifle or shotgun to a resident of another state IF the sale in legal in both states.

Sorry, bro- but you were given bad advice- and yes, the ATF has arrested people for this.

John_Deer 02-12-2013 12:46 PM

I have bought long guns from dealers and auctions out of state. I had to fill out a 4473 and go through a background check just like any long gun purchased from a dealer here in NC. I can buy handguns with my concealed carry permit here in NC. I can not buy a handgun out of state.

I don't know if this is good all over the US. Here in NC every Sheriffs Dept has a deputy assigned to purchase permits and concealed carry permits. Once you get to know this deputy he will always give good advice regarding weapons purchases.

bobski 02-12-2013 12:59 PM

being its new york, it changes everything. they have a law unto themselves concerning out of state purchases. you need to research it.

locutus 02-12-2013 01:40 PM

Short answer: NO!:(:(:(

Garadex 02-12-2013 03:49 PM

Is there even less than 10 round mags for that rifle? :confused:

DruidKing 02-13-2013 05:05 AM

So is there really no way to buy a rifle through a private deal? I thought that if Joe Blow wanted to sell me his own gun that everything would be cool. Whatever happened to this "Gun Show Loop Hole" that everyone talks about? I thought that the laws regarding sale between private citizens were different than those involving a dealer... This is annoying me.

Does anyone know when the NYS gun laws expire? I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere.