private hand gun sales
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

private hand gun sales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default private hand gun sales

I was just wondering what the laws are regarding private sales ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos
I was just wondering what the laws are regarding private sales ?
Depends on whats bein sold. Anywhere i know of in the US you can buy a handgun at 18 in a private sale but not the ammo at any big name store.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Last edited by Marlinman; 03-24-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #3

Depends on your state. In Texas, 18 yrs old can buy a pistol in a private sale but cannot buy a pistol from a retailer or FFL.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

I am several years above 18 ...I was just wondering if I would have to go to the local pd and get something stating the gun is going in to my name or being transferred out of my name

Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Strongly recommend you contact you local authorities and ask this question. No offense to anyone here, but taking internet advice about the legality of anything can be a quick trip to trouble land.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

different states have different laws governing private sales. as a private citizen you obviously can't do a background check. my suggestion is this, if you have a pistol you want to sell either find a LGS that offers consignment sales and then they can handle the FFL for a buyer of your pistol for a small fee. that way they are handling all the legal aspects of the sale and everything is above board. another way is to offer it to an FFL dealer for sale. if in the market to buy, you best recourse is to go through an FFL for sale as this protects you fron any nasty suprises down the road, like what if the firearm was stolen or used in the commision of a crime. bye bye gun, bye bye any money spent. going through an FFL is just safer IMO. i would only buy or trade from someone i knew and trusted, like a friend or family member. a lot of people who are legally restricted from buying sometimes buy a firearm from a private sale as they can't legally go through an FFL and pass a background check. just remember to protect yourself legally.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10955 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Federal law- an unlicensed person may sell a handgun to a resident of their own state, if seller does not have reason to believe buyer cannot legally possess a handgun.

State law- ALL over the place. Some require the sale to take place AT the police dept. Some require a purchase permit (even for private sales)- and some require nothing.

Common misconception- that a gun is somehow "registered" to a particular owner (Thank you, CSI for that misinformation) In most of the US, there is NO registration of ordinary firearms. It is not "in your name" unless your name is Colt, Wesson, or Highpoint.

For a straight answer, suggest you check with local gun shop, who will probably have a better grip on state gun laws that local PD. As said, shops also do consignment sales, where they get an amount for selling for you.

When you buy a gun from a dealer, it is not registered to you in some mysterious manner (no one to register it WITH). The dealer maintains a record of the sale at his shop for 20 years. Those records CAN be subpoenaed by law enforcement.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

No private handgun sales are allowed in New York State. Check with your local authorities to understand the local laws. There is no federal regulation of private (non-Class III) firearm sales.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Some of the people that ask questions regarding things legal and guns on here have the bad habit of not stating where they hail from. Like you have been told prior, there are the Federal laws per the NFA and then the state laws. The state laws directly affect the buying and selling of weapons and do vary from state to state like was already stated. Not knowing where you are referring to geographically makes it pretty difficult to give you a definitive answer and we don't want to give anyone bad info, and for a topic like this, generic info won't work.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Depends on whats bein sold. Anywhere i know of in the US you can buy a handgun at 18 in a private sale
Many states like California require the sale to go through an FFL.