Private Ammunition Sales
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Private Ammunition Sales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Default Private Ammunition Sales

Does anybody know what the laws are regarding private ammunition sales in California? I have several thousand rounds of .223 that doesn't work well in my Mini 14 and I am considering either selling it off or looking for an AR to see it it works in that. I don't want to sell off several thousand rounds unless it is legal to do so. (I am not asking about sales tax, that is a different issue).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2730 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I know of no such restrictions anywhere in the US. Have you found ammo that DOES work well in the Mini? I owned a few, many years ago, that were feeding nightmares. Finally just got an AR. What ammo is it?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

are there ranges out there that will allow you to rent a particular weapon to see what it will work well in?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

As long as there is no State or Local law that requires ammo to be transferred via FFL, you're good to go. Here in Chicago all our ammo must go through an FFL. Of course I could probably sell a box to someone and get away with it, but that would break the local regulation.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1964 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 586

It gets worse and worse.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Sounds like a good reason to get an ar.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
As long as there is no State or Local law that requires ammo to be transferred via FFL, you're good to go. Here in Chicago all our ammo must go through an FFL. Of course I could probably sell a box to someone and get away with it, but that would break the local regulation.
You sir, have my heartfelt condolences on your geographic disadvantage.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I know of no such restrictions anywhere in the US. Have you found ammo that DOES work well in the Mini? I owned a few, many years ago, that were feeding nightmares. Finally just got an AR. What ammo is it?
I am doing pretty good with my handloads. 3" at 100 yards. Not ideal but we are working on it. I have never really had any feeding problems with my Mini that were not attributed to the after-market magazine. With Ruger magazines it feeds reliably every time, except for this Federal stuff. For some reason it was not ejecting properly and the spent brass was getting caught in the bolt, not stovepiping but aligned with the bore. Kind of strange because I have put thousands of rounds through this Mini with no trouble until this batch of ammo.

I have a Savage Model 12 (bolt) that shoots it OK, but the gun likes 50 grain bullets much better and I have a good handload for that gun (sub-MOA). I have not tried it in an AR yet. Not really in the budget right now.

The ammo is Federal from Natchez I got several months ago. I'm going to hang onto it for now, at worst I can shoot it and reload the brass. Or maybe if the Obama Ammunition Market makes it profitable I will sell it off later on towards November.

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/FAXM223BLAC.jpg

Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebone View Post
are there ranges out there that will allow you to rent a particular weapon to see what it will work well in?
Not that I know of, I pretty much go to only 2 ranges near me and neither of them rent guns. The only rentals I know about around here are indoor pistol ranges that I never go to. I do know some guys with guns I can shoot though.

By the way, can you shoot .223 in an AR? I should think so but I just want to check.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
Sounds like a good reason to get an ar.
Wait. Did I miss a memo or something? I need a freakin' reason?