Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Private- 18yo, FFL - 21yo, what's the point??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
SOME of us go back a good bit before the 60s!

And LONG before the Hemi!
i like 30's hot rods too

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Guys... I'm only 27. Just turned 27 a few weeks ago. So I'm talking about the mid 90's.

I think it's just the fact that my town was so backwater. Ackerman, Mathiston and Sturgis MS are my old stomping grounds. See if you can find them on a map, They're near Starkville and MSU.
I would have actually loved it if i was born&raised in those towns.

I dislike big cities, and by that i mean over 10,000 population LOL

Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #22

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Dear Trip: No, silly is when I enlisted at 17, was an officer at 19, at 20 I was a company commander- and could not buy a box of .45 ammo.

THAT was silly.

And as the folks have said, A FFL is a FEDERAL Firearms License, and dealer is bound by Federal law- Title 18 US Code, section 922.
Battlefield promotions huh? Or just fraggin' the other officers? I kid, that's a lot of advancement though.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8588 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

War going on at the time, promotion was rapid in those days. Meritorious promo to E-5, which got me picked up for OCS.

Was a 1Lt when my CO got pulled out, and wound up as Company Commander (BTW- that is the BEST job in the WORLD!)

In those days, I could drink at the O club, but could not buy anything to go. Also could not vote (21 voting age)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #24

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

@ 4drviper, yeah those towns were great, except for many people there were only about 2 paths in life. All of my friends wound up on drugs or in and out of jail for other reasons, and then the rest of them did like I did and joined the military. There were a few exceptions of course, I know a couple guys who got a regular job and lived their lives, and one of them who became a preacher. But life could be kind of rough with the lack of opportunities unless your willing to move away somewhere.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
So you are old enough to join the military and fight for your country but you are not old enough to buy a firearm.
Pretty weak argument, the last I knew, under age 21 you couldn't buy liquor either. When I was in the military, they had just entended the vote to 18 year olds. You can buy a handgun from a private seller at age 18, you might consider the fact that in the late 1960's, public opinion was strongy against handgun ownership by any civilian.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #26

I'm not sure how valid this is but I have read a medical study that said drinking age is 21 because the liver is still developing up until about that age. As far as handguns go I think any responsible contributing member of society should be able to purchase at the age of 18. If you were 18 and got busted with a handgun you would still be tried as an adult. So why does the fed say 18-20 isn't adult enough

Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #27

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledhed View Post
I'm not sure how valid this is but I have read a medical study that said drinking age is 21 because the liver is still developing up until about that age. As far as handguns go I think any responsible contributing member of society should be able to purchase at the age of 18. If you were 18 and got busted with a handgun you would still be tried as an adult. So why does the fed say 18-20 isn't adult enough
And the eyes don't finish developing until between 20 and 28. So there you go. We are sending children who aren't even done developing to go off and fight wars.

Has anyone ever read "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi? Interesting thoughts on that topic.