Private- 18yo, FFL - 21yo, what's the point?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Private- 18yo, FFL - 21yo, what's the point??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
So you are old enough to join the military and fight for your country but you are not old enough to buy a firearm.
In texas you can get your conceled handgun license at 18+ if your in the military, and once i got my CHL i could shoot handguns at my gun range...ive never bought firearms since i recieved a few in an inheritance but i dont see why i couldn't

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
-Samuel Adams

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives."
-John Adams

Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #12

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalkersDQ View Post
In texas you can get your conceled handgun license at 18+ if your in the military, and once i got my CHL i could shoot handguns at my gun range...ive never bought firearms since i recieved a few in an inheritance but i dont see why i couldn't
That's how it should be everywhere in my opinion. Really I think a military ID should just automatically count as a Permit.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That is a reasonable explanation. It's still kind of silly though.
Silly for sure.

I wouldn't hesitate to sell to someone 18-21 its not position to institute regs above what the state requires so I can get a feel good feeling inside... I am not kalifornia after all.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9415 Times on 4056 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Dear Trip: No, silly is when I enlisted at 17, was an officer at 19, at 20 I was a company commander- and could not buy a box of .45 ammo.

THAT was silly.

And as the folks have said, A FFL is a FEDERAL Firearms License, and dealer is bound by Federal law- Title 18 US Code, section 922.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Dear Trip: No, silly is when I enlisted at 17, was an officer at 19, at 20 I was a company commander- and could not buy a box of .45 ammo.

THAT was silly.

And as the folks have said, A FFL is a FEDERAL Firearms License, and dealer is bound by Federal law- Title 18 US Code, section 922.
Was that because of where you lived? I've been buying my own ammo (.22 and 12 gauge) since I was about 12.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Trip- FEDERAL law says you cannot sell HANDGUN ammo to a person under 21. RIFLE or SHOTGUN ammo at 18. A round that can be used in short gun OR long gun (like the .22) can be sold at 18 if seller does not have cause to believe it is for handgun.

Don't ask me to explain WHY the law is written that way. It is because a doofus politician wrote it that way. (Back in the day, I was buying 22 and 410 at the local store at age 10)

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #17

maybe it's just the backwoods town I was brought up in then. I was driving to the store, picking up the groceries, my .22 and 12 ammo, and smokes for my mom when I was 12. She worked nights, and the whole town shut down on the weekend, so it was the only way to get food and smokes in the house.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
If that is in fact the case in SC then I would say it's some legal BS. Here in NC the whole reason we have pistol permits is because back during the civil rights movement they wanted to keep pistols out of the hands of blacks so they gave each county sherriff the authority to decide who can/can't buy a pistol.
"legal BS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
I found this article online and thought it was interesting:

New S.C. Handgun Purchasing Law Drops Minimum Age To 18 - CBS News

If the article is correct, then this is a federal vs. state law issue. FFLs are subject to federal laws which state they cannot sell handguns to those under 21, even though your state allows private sales to 18+.
yes it is indeed correct (at least with the SLED officer in CWP department that I spoke with)
[and any SC residents under 21, you are responsible for checking the law yourself, it changes every so often so I deny any legal responsiblity of this post]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
So you are old enough to join the military and fight for your country but you are not old enough to buy a firearm.
true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Yeah, it's definitely silly.

I bought my first handgun at age 20 through a private sale.
So did I! (I'm 20 now) now I can save coulple bucks every 30min at the range.
and feel safe at home.

Quote:
It's like that here in MS.
18 for a long gun at a dealer. 21 for handgun at a dealer.
21 to get a concealed carry permit
18 to buy a handgun from a private sale, seller cannot knowingly sell to someone who is intoxicated or under the age of 18
18 and older to keep a handgun in your vehicle, concealed or not concealed, loaded or unloaded, it doesn't matter. We have the "vehicle is extension of owners home/property" law. Regardless of permit status.

I think it's silly too. This just doesn't make sense. You can be 18 and die for your country, but you cant drink a beer or buy a handgun. They need to put these issues on the same levels. Either raise the voting and enlistment ages to match handguns and beer; lower the handguns and beer ages to match the voting and enlistment ages, or make exceptions for registered voters OR (if that's too lenient) servicemembers who are under 21.
agree that "match these issues to same level"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
Federal handgun = 21

Your state = 18

because FFL have to abide by federal regs you have to buy privately ftf.

CCW is regulated by states and usually is 21.
yup. i've checked with various officers and FFL dealers.

Quote:
That's how it should be everywhere in my opinion. Really I think a military ID should just automatically count as a Permit.
that's a good idea. since military ID takes clean background and blah blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
Silly for sure.

I wouldn't hesitate to sell to someone 18-21 its not position to institute regs above what the state requires so I can get a feel good feeling inside... I am not kalifornia after all.
kali~~~ lol that state is so strict about everything

Quote:

THAT was silly.

C3, that is REALLY silly

and yes i've obtained a handgun from FTF sale.

Quote:
Trip- FEDERAL law says you cannot sell HANDGUN ammo to a person under 21. RIFLE or SHOTGUN ammo at 18. A round that can be used in short gun OR long gun (like the .22) can be sold at 18 if seller does not have cause to believe it is for handgun.

Don't ask me to explain WHY the law is written that way. It is because a doofus politician wrote it that way. (Back in the day, I was buying 22 and 410 at the local store at age 10)
"doofus politician"

Quote:
maybe it's just the backwoods town I was brought up in then. I was driving to the store, picking up the groceries, my .22 and 12 ammo, and smokes for my mom when I was 12. She worked nights, and the whole town shut down on the weekend, so it was the only way to get food and smokes in the house.
lol "back in the day"... sometimes I would prefer a 426 hemi or,, buick 454 with crappy MPG rather than all nice and smooth, 6.4 HEMI,,..
(i'm just saying it cz i like both mopar and GM)

I'm only 20 but I can't stop fantasizing about the 60's.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

SOME of us go back a good bit before the 60s!

And LONG before the Hemi!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #20

Guys... I'm only 27. Just turned 27 a few weeks ago. So I'm talking about the mid 90's.

I think it's just the fact that my town was so backwater. Ackerman, Mathiston and Sturgis MS are my old stomping grounds. See if you can find them on a map, They're near Starkville and MSU.