Possible open carry for Florida-Vote Scott
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Possible open carry for Florida-Vote Scott

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Possible open carry for Florida-Vote Scott

Here is an email from the founder of Florida Open Carry. Im definetely voting for Rick Scott.

Quote:
OpenCarry.org
(A pro-gun Internet community of over 22,000 registered members)

For Immediate Release – October 17, 2010
---------

Rick Scott Promises to Sign Open Carry Bill for Florida

Alex Sink Campaign Treats Open Carry Organizers like DMV Customers

Florida Open Carry to Hold “Open Carry Fish-Ins”
on Nov. 6th in Jacksonville, Tampa, Daytona, St. Augustine, and Ft. Myers

---------
Florida is one of only 7 states banning the open carry of properly holstered handguns, but apparently that doesn’t bother Florida’s Democratic candidate for Governor, Alex Sink, or her campaign managers.

Over the last two weeks Sink’s campaign staffers have stiff-armed repeated requests from both OpenCarry.org and Florida Open Carry for her position on restoring open carry rights in Florida. The question put to them was pretty straight forward:

“If a future legislature passed a bill restoring open carry rights in Florida, would a Governor Sink be inclined to sign it?”

Sink’s staffer “Jasmine” told Florida Open Carry’s Sean Caranna that the issue would need further “staffing and research” and that Jasmine did not know which department was handling the request but regardless, "you will just have to wait for them to get back to you.”
“It was like talking to the DMV,” said Caranna, noting that “this late in the campaign you’d think the Sink people would be more on the ball regarding major public policy questions like gun rights.”

But it didn’t take long for Republican Rick Scott to provide a position on open carry. Within hours of OpenCarry.org’s inquiry last week, the Scott campaign provided this remarkably straightforward statement from Mr. Scott on the open carry issue:
“As a member of the NRA and a hunter, I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and I will protect our fundamental right to keep and bear arms. Florida is one of only seven states with wide prohibition on carrying an unconcealed firearm. Repealing the ban on unconcealed or Open Carry will eliminate practical and constitutional problems in Florida.”
According OpenCarry.org’s John Pierce,

"The choice before Florida gun owners on November 2nd is very stark. Voters must choose between a candidate with her head in the sand on gun rights, or Rick Scott who is clearly NOT in the closet when it comes to gun rights."

Meanwhile, no matter who wins the governor’s race, open carry organizers in Florida are driving on with both (1) an online petition to restore Florida open carry rights at FL Open Carry Petition
and (2) open carry “fish-in” events on Nov. 6th in Jacksonville, Tampa, Daytona, St. Augustine, and Ft. Myers; see Florida Open Carry | Facebook.

NOTE 1: Currently Floridians who want to open carry must be fishing or en-route to/from fishing; no gun carry permit required.

NOTE 2: Florida Open Carry’s Sean Caranna will speak at the Tea Party sponsored “Florida State Wide Get Out The Vote (GOTV) Rally” (on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at Orlando City Hall from noon till 2:00 p.m) about the effort to pass an Arizona-style open carry law to allow the people of the state of Florida to openly carry handguns without any permit. See more at Central Florida Republicans: Orlando Tea Party and the South Florida Tea Party - Florida State Wide Get Out The Vote (GOTV) RallySaturday, October 23, 2010.

Carry on!

About: Florida Open Carry is a grass roots movement of Florida residents who endeavor to raise awareness in the community of our second amendment civil rights. Our primary goal is to help educate others about their right to legally open carry and advocate for repeal of the general ban on open carry in Florida. Florida is one of only seven (7) states where open carry is generally prohibited.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #2

I like the freedom aspect of open carry but I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to open carry. The heretofore unknown bad guy will shoot you first in the convenience/liquor store to eliminate the potential threat. I dont care if open carry makes people feel uncomfortable or angers some, I dont reallly care but from a tactical situation its just nuts. I think this open carry must originate from little guy syndrome or small penis size. Conceal Carry yes.....open carry, I don't see the value in being a sitting duck.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #3

Pros and cons to both sides of the coin. But, Florida is one of only 7 states with a ban on open carry. Unconstitutional in my eyes. If you dont like open carry, fine. But at least you agree that it should be available. "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED".

Back in the old days, if you concealed your weapon you were considered slimey and were probably a criminal. Alaska, Vermont, and Arizona have the greatest gun laws on the books. They have no gun laws. You can buy a gun one day and decide to conceal carry with no permit. Then the next day you can decide to carry openly, with no permit. I believe Constitutional Carry should be adopted by all 50 states.

As far a why; in Alaska you open carry because its cold. If you got a thick jacket on and you need to engage a bear I would asume its best to open carry. In Arizona you open carry because it hot. I like to wear just a T-shirt in the summer, easier to print than if you wear a jacket.

Plus it helps desensitizes the liberals.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #4

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
I like the freedom aspect of open carry but I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to open carry. The heretofore unknown bad guy will shoot you first in the convenience/liquor store to eliminate the potential threat. I dont care if open carry makes people feel uncomfortable or angers some, I dont reallly care but from a tactical situation its just nuts. I think this open carry must originate from little guy syndrome or small penis size. Conceal Carry yes.....open carry, I don't see the value in being a sitting duck.
I have a relative that works for a natural gas company. He open carries because he mainly works in rural wooded areas of West Virginia, alone, along property lines that are sometimes disputed. He mainly carries in case of an animal attack but also as a deterrent to some people.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #5

Default you guys are right

Points well made...I stand corrected

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #6

Texas had open carry for years and until the influx of illeagle immigrants who are criminals, they had a relitively low crime rate. Arizona had it years ago too and then it was banned but is now coming back. Both forms of carry have their ups and downs. You have to pick the downs that you would be willing to live with. Open carry= quicker draw, visual deterrent, more comfort, allows you to carry a bigger gun/caliber, allows you to wear whatever clothing you want. The downside of Open carry is you may encounter that rare person who decides to challenge you because they see your armed, someone can snatch your gun easier {should use a retention holster if you do}, some peolple will give you dirty looks, the element of suprise is gone, some law officers in certain states that do not know the law to the extent about open carry will harass you about it, and tell you you can't do it !
Concealed Carry= Element of suprise, Police won't harass you, people don't know you have it and wont give you dirty looks or question you, harder for someone to snatch your gun. The downside of Concealed Carry-
more uncomfortable {especially in-the-pants holsters}, need to wear baggy clothes, pants especially, limits you to a certain size and in some cases caliber, slower draw and access, can force you to buy a more expensive carry rig {shoulder Rig }, can be a hassle in the summertime when it's hot because you have to wear exra clothing to conceal it. That probably sums it up. If I missed anything feel free to add to either one ?

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As a long time Florida resident I am against this idea of Open Carry.
As much as I would like to be transported back to the old western era of the late 1800's and be able to ride my horse from town to town with my Colt on my hip, I just do not see the need for open carry in this day and age. However I do think and believe if a law abiding citizen is able to buy a gun, then they should be able to carry concealed without having to purchase a permit. I just don't see why someone has the need to carry a gun so everyone can see the gun. I really feel this is just plain silly and it will create more problems for us gun owners. I have heard all the arguments for and against but as a gun lover and a person who carried one on duty for 12 years, I just can't convince myself that this is a good idea. I think we should put all our efforts into the fight to Keep and Bear Arms instead of pushing the issue for open carry. Does one really have the need to show everyone that he has a gun, well I don't think so. //END//

Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #8

That sounds half anti-gun, straddling the fence. Why cant you be for concealed carry laws and open carry laws, but choose to only carry concealed. And then make it YOUR choice to conceal, and not INFRINGE on somebody elses right(hopefully Florida gets it back) and choice to open carry.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
As a long time Florida resident I am against this idea of Open Carry.
As much as I would like to be transported back to the old western era of the late 1800's and be able to ride my horse from town to town with my Colt on my hip, I just do not see the need for open carry in this day and age. However I do think and believe if a law abiding citizen is able to buy a gun, then they should be able to carry concealed without having to purchase a permit. I just don't see why someone has the need to carry a gun so everyone can see the gun. I really feel this is just plain silly and it will create more problems for us gun owners. I have heard all the arguments for and against but as a gun lover and a person who carried one on duty for 12 years, I just can't convince myself that this is a good idea. I think we should put all our efforts into the fight to Keep and Bear Arms instead of pushing the issue for open carry. Does one really have the need to show everyone that he has a gun, well I don't think so. //END//
There are any number of reasons to open carry that are just as valid as the reasons to chose to conceal. If you support constitutional carry why do you care whether somebody has their jacket over the gun rather than behind it? What difference does it make?

What if I was to suggest that you should be able to carry a 9mm handgun without restrictions, but I just don't see the need for a .45? It's no different. Why would you want to limit others' choices simply because your personal preferences are different?

Just as our choice of handguns and holsters is purely personal, so too should the choice of whether to carry concealed or open.

Also, this is the only known case of an open carrier being disarmed by a criminal (besides police officers acting outside of the law): Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
I remember reading a case in which a couple of would be robbers walked into a store to rob it, but left after seeing an open carrier. The police arrested them in the parking lot a little while later after noticing some suspicious activity. I'll see if I can't find a source on that story

There aren't any cases of a bad guy just opening fire on an open carrier. If it is such a bad thing tactically, why don't cops conceal? Do you really think that the badge or the uniform is what deters violent criminals? Or do you think that the gun on the hip does it?

I only point that out to say that you may get shot first, but you may also deter criminals. Nobody but the criminal has any way of knowing, but I think it's typically pretty accepted that criminals are generally cowards that engage in crimes of opportunity. They go for easy targets. Why would a criminal rob a 7-11 with an OCer in it when he can go up the street rob that one with no visible carriers? Until somebody does a study on the subject we have no idea which is more likely from a statistical standpoint.

I'm not going to argue that one is better than the other (I carry concealed and open depending on a number of factors), but arguing against it or saying that OCers are compensating for small penises just plays right into the anti's hands.