Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Political posturing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Default Political posturing

Obama knows he can't get an AWB through congress. This whole issue is political posturing, to take our minds off of the fact the economy is in the toilet, foreign policy is in total disarray, and the country is going to hell in general.

Ufortunately, we've also got some political posturing on our side as well.

When state legislatures pass bills to stop federal laws from being enforced, it's just political posturing as well.

We fought a civil war over this issue 150 years ago. The federal government will always prevail over state govrnment. Posturing not withstanding.

When a sheriff says he will refuse to enforce federal laws, he is well within his rights. When he says he will arrest BATF agents for enforcing them, he's blowing smoke.

CrazedJava Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #2

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I think everyone needs to calm down. A lot.

Anyone who has read and understood the EO's will see they are largely meaningless with a few of them being either unfunded mandates, which cannot be enforced, or giving POTUS an excuse to spend more money.

Don't get so distracted by the EO's that we lose focus on Congress, where the real fight will be. We need to remind politicians that if they want to retain their job in 2014 they damn well better stop this nonsense.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I don't know. I know a little about that Ky sheriff. He says it he means it. He's a no sh!t type of guy. He's just one county away from me. Now what happens to him when/if he does it? That's another matter entirely.

I'm inclined to agree with you about the ban thing. I just don't see it passing both houses. But it will be a tool used to try and black eye the people that don't vote for it. I think if Obama really wanted to get some kind of ban in place he would have tried another end around Congress. They might get bits and pieces if they break the whole thing into small parts and try to piggyback other bills. As we know this is pretty common.

I'm not so sure that some type of civil unrest would be so cut and dry for the feds. I can't say the peopel would be able to overrun the feds either. There will be plenty of military to fire on U.S. citizens just like it was not a problem in the civil war long ago. I hear how this or that soldier wont. And I believe them. But I also think there will be plenty that will if called upon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
I think everyone needs to calm down. A lot.

Anyone who has read and understood the EO's will see they are largely meaningless with a few of them being either unfunded mandates, which cannot be enforced, or giving POTUS an excuse to spend more money.

Don't get so distracted by the EO's that we lose focus on Congress, where the real fight will be. We need to remind politicians that if they want to retain their job in 2014 they damn well better stop this nonsense.
THIS!!!

The sheep are panicked and the flock is stampeding.

This is NOT to say we should stop contacting our erected officials, local, state and fed and voicing where we stand.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Now I'm more concerned about what laws were passed while the nation was distracted with this...
Everyone who would call him out on BS has been severely distracted by the whole gun thing...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 606 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 233

I'm not sure what everyone got so worked up about. The executive orders amounted to enforcing existing laws, which is entirely legal and prudent. Why existing laws weren't enforced to begin with is beyond my understanding, but that's the extent of his mandates.

The President is asking Congress to enact magazine and semi-automatic firearm bans. The Congress is not going to do that, so it's a political gesture to show the President is "serious" about "gun control". The operative word in "gun control" is not "gun" it's "control". Like all dictators, this dictator is only interested in "control" over the people he dictates to.

If the President was serious about "gun control", he'd be asking for bans on handguns because of the disproportionate number of people killed by handguns. He is not, he just wants to take away any weapons that could pose a threat to his regime implementing any of the other "control" measures.

Chief among Obama's wishes is to curtail freedom of speech (Fairness Doctrine) and to further erode civil liberties pertaining to police powers. I'm really shocked that anyone is surprised at a dictator attempting power grabs or diminishing civil rights. That's kinda what they do.

The "rights" that we have, or "privileges" as I like to call them, really only exist as long as the government chooses to uphold them. Once the will to do that is gone, all democracies become dictatorships and then slowly slip into chaos. We're watching this happen right now. I suspect it'll take another 10-20 years, but we're accelerating along our path to dictatorship and plenty of Americans are cheering the process on.

Hopefully the next administration will fundamentally change the nature of the interaction between government and the people, but I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery than living to see that happen.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

There is still a budget matter that needs to be worked on......

And the 500 million dollar plan does not help that.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1431 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
THIS!!!

The sheep are panicked and the flock is stampeding.

This is NOT to say we should stop contacting our erected officials, local, state and fed and voicing where we stand.
erected officials you say? there are so many ways I could go with this one - but I'll take a guess it's just a typo

Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
erected officials you say? there are so many ways I could go with this one - but I'll take a guess it's just a typo
That's what I thought, but that L and R are fairly far away from each other on the key board.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1013 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 346

It's not even about controlling the people. It's about controlling the competition. Lately it seems like everyone with a CNC shop and knowledge of firearms is making AR-15s. Soon they will have the connections, marketing and labor force to make conventional firearms. The big gun manufacturers can't have gun making turn into a cottage industry. They have to stop the competition. Just like the last AWB only stopped the importation of firearms from China and Russia. The big gun manufacturers couldn't have an SKS on the cover of Field and Stream with the headline saying the poor mans deer rifle.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-17-2013 at 10:46 PM.