Police take gun without any charges - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police take gun without any charges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

http://www.bustedmugshots.com/ohio/cleveland/derrick-j-washington/27596931

It is possible that this is not the same Derrick Washington from Cleveland, but the OP's original citing declared that the person who had the gun confiscated was a felon......

It would be unlawful for the police to give the firearm back to someone who is not eligible to own firearms.....

Carl Sagan

Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
http://www.bustedmugshots.com/ohio/cleveland/derrick-j-washington/27596931

It is possible that this is not the same Derrick Washington from Cleveland, but the OP's original citing declared that the person who had the gun confiscated was a felon......

It would be unlawful for the police to give the firearm back to someone who is not eligible to own firearms.....
I can't get the picture to load, but that doesn't matter. In the story Mr. Washington's lawyer says he has no criminal record, but you are correct. If he is a felon the firearm can't be returned. One has to ask, how did he get the carry permit if he is a felon? Did he commit a felony after it was issued? If so, why wasn't it revoked? It would seem to me that if he presented a revoked permit there would have been some charges. Also, why throw money away on a lawyer if you know you don't have a right to the firearm?

I suggest that it is a mistaken identity case. During the three days he was held he was cleared and eventually released. Now he wants his gun back.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #13

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The article says the man has a CCP. Everyone here knows to get a carry permit you have to pass a background check and be fingerprinted. There is no case of mistaken identity.

"This happens all the time,'' said Kevin Jamison, an attorney near Kansas City. "Police know that these cases are often more expensive to take to court than the guns are worth. Most people find out how much it is going to cost to sue, and they give up. It's a really annoying habit. It provides work for me, but it is really offensive.''

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

John_Deer,

You're overlooking the fact that the average street officer will go with what is on his terminal screen. If he did a name and DOB check for wants and warrants, and got three hits on Derrick Washington, he's probably going to go with the worst one. We have 9 Derrick Washington's living in my city. One of them has a few AKA's and one of them is an MD. Until their fingerprints are verified, how do you think both of them will be treated? Do you think the officers will let either of them keep their firearms while they wait for answers?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7560 Times on 4165 Posts
Likes Given: 7307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
So Robo, could a citizen file a stolen gun report with, say, the Sheriff, or the BATFE, including the detail that the police stole the gun? What might happen in that scenario in your opinion?
Just be sure you give a copy of the report to the local TV station and newspaper!

BTW, when my wife lived in N.O. La, the good guns went home with the senior officers and the klunkers went out to sea on the barge. Dontcha love a city where the mayor and chief have a contest to see who can be the biggest crook???

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #16

Liked 171 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 177

In a nation of laws, not men the confiscation of a personal possession without legal cause and intent would be theft. Police are people too...most good, some bad. I am not sure how a person could get the DA or other governing agency to look at it his way, but it is what it is. Either the gun was stolen or not...punitive damages only harm the community through higher taxes. Criminal charges for criminal acts are more cost effective!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #17

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

When I read it I saw it as a comparison of penalties in civil rights cases. Taking and keeping the gun without due process is considered by many to be a civil rights violation. I could be way off on that one, but that's what I got out of it.
I get that, but guys here are always saying how liberals drag race into every little thing justified or not then to see someone here bring it up in this context seems hypocritical as hell to me is all I'm getting at. I'd much rather discuss the facts of an issue then to start dragging ifs and buts into it before the discussion has even begun..

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3354 Times on 1736 Posts
Likes Given: 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
So Robo, could a citizen file a stolen gun report with, say, the Sheriff, or the BATFE, including the detail that the police stole the gun? What might happen in that scenario in your opinion?
Since they do not inform the vicitm of the recovery, they will never know it was recovered. BUT yes, I believe there should be consequences for such illegal actions. And yes, I do believe it is intentional and systemic.

I have pages of stories of unethical behavior I have been privy to, just not first hand so there is nothing I can do. There have been too many "stories" about such things for them all to be made up.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #19

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
John_Deer,

You're overlooking the fact that the average street officer will go with what is on his terminal screen. If he did a name and DOB check for wants and warrants, and got three hits on Derrick Washington, he's probably going to go with the worst one. We have 9 Derrick Washington's living in my city. One of them has a few AKA's and one of them is an MD. Until their fingerprints are verified, how do you think both of them will be treated? Do you think the officers will let either of them keep their firearms while they wait for answers?
Maybe not, but they should damn well give it back after the issue has been sorted. Then of course, the Derrick Washington with the CCP and the other matching info should be easier than most to sort out.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #20

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

It is interesting that I posted two links. One was another news organizations coverage of the same story. They did identify the man who had the gun confiscated as a felon.

I guess the ghosties blew away the other link, and I don't care enough to hunt it up again. If you care, google the man's name and Cleveland and you can find several stories.

There is almost always more than one side to any story.

Carl Sagan
People Like This