Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Police take gun without any charges (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/police-take-gun-without-any-charges-95246/)

JWagner 08-11-2013 12:47 AM

Police take gun without any charges

Police seized a gun from a citizen's car and will not return it without a legal challenge. I would imagine that when the guy gets his gun back , it will be a piece of junk.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/08/suit_cleveland_police_refuse_t.html

JonM 08-11-2013 12:58 AM

needs to fo toa jury trial and the chief of police and mayor pay the costs directly from their salaries for violation of civil rights.

an award of a couple of million will sting those sob enough to think twice about violating civil rights. if it was a white officer beating a black man the case would be in the millions.

in the case of civil rights violations like this where it is department policy to violate them the chief and mayor should be held personally liable and NOT the people of the city or state or federal government.

JimRau 08-11-2013 02:02 AM

It sounds to me like a straightforward civil right violation case.:) OH I forgot, violating the rights of individuals protected by the 2nd Amendment doesn't count as a 'civil rights' violation!!!!:mad:

robocop10mm 08-11-2013 04:03 AM

Not surprising from an anti-gun city. Austin forces many to get attorneys involved to get guns back. If APD had their way, no one (but them) would have guns. I have seen them send people's guns to the chipper to avoid giving them back. Hell, stolen guns are shipped up and the owner never notified the gun was ever recovered.

Vikingdad 08-11-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1332307)
Not surprising from an anti-gun city. Austin forces many to get attorneys involved to get guns back. If APD had their way, no one (but them) would have guns. I have seen them send people's guns to the chipper to avoid giving them back. Hell, stolen guns are shipped up and the owner never notified the gun was ever recovered.

So Robo, could a citizen file a stolen gun report with, say, the Sheriff, or the BATFE, including the detail that the police stole the gun? What might happen in that scenario in your opinion?

Tackleberry1 08-11-2013 04:20 AM

As with any grevience...

Option A is too seek redress through the courts. Should option A fail, the only remaining option, option B, is to extract justice through natural law by inflicting an equal or greater amount of pain and loss upon those who've wronged you.

If your not prepared to go to option B... Don't whine about you property being stollen by the blue light gang members. ;)

Tack

deadsp0t 08-11-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
if it was a white officer beating a black man the case would be in the millions.

What in the **** does that have to do with the price of apples in India.. A statement like this is completely uncalled for and unrelated..

Jesus H Christ, why does someone ALWAYS have to drag race in to every little thing.

Now, if these are the facts the NRA or some other gun advocate group should get involved and help for free or contingency if he/they were to receive any damages.

rjd3282 08-11-2013 06:22 AM

I guess this answers the question about police going along with gun confiscation. Sorry sir just following orders.

deadsp0t 08-11-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282
I guess this answers the question about police going along with gun confiscation. Sorry sir just following orders.

The link mentioned something about him being a felon, kind if contradictory to the other feel/fact presented.. I'm thinking there may be more to this then what the link is providing

Doc3402 08-11-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsp0t (Post 1332372)
What in the **** does that have to do with the price of apples in India.. A statement like this is completely uncalled for and unrelated..

Jesus H Christ, why does someone ALWAYS have to drag race in to every little thing.

Now, if these are the facts the NRA or some other gun advocate group should get involved and help for free or contingency if he/they were to receive any damages.

When I read it I saw it as a comparison of penalties in civil rights cases. Taking and keeping the gun without due process is considered by many to be a civil rights violation. I could be way off on that one, but that's what I got out of it.