Police survey on gun laws - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police survey on gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #51
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

On the subject of statistics, no poll will ever have a majority of the people that are in that industry. A 3-5% return are simply the ones that chose to respond. However, it usually is a good cross-section of those in the industry.

The true question is whether those that respond have a vested interest in telling the truth or if they have a reason to lie. Could they lose their job by giving their honest opinion? Could they be sanctioned (cut pay, lose benefits) if they give their honest opinion? Does greed or fear enter into their responses in any way?

Many feel doctors and nurses are against ObamaCare because they will not make as much money. The small sample I have personally interviewed (~120) all have the same concerns: much longer wait times to see a doctor (similar to a hospital waiting room), decreased doctor time with each patient, misdiagnoses, and decreased patient care. Money was only mentioned a couple of times, and only in relation to a practice being able to even keep its doors open. All of the doctors I spoke to are afraid this drive-thru "McMedicine" is going to kill people. They also agonize that the American people think that they will be getting the same quality healthcare as before. The doctors feel they have been lied to into thinking nothing will change.

So I believe the cops who responded to the PoliceOne.com poll are truthful and a good sample group because they are vested (with their life) and could answer without their boss knowing their response. They could have just as easily responded in favor of gun laws, but they didn't.

The doctors are also a good sampling because they are professionals that control their own business and researched ObamaCare to evaluate it for the benefit to their patients. Unfortunately, they found none.

Teachers I am still out on. They seem to vote party and union lines in my personal experience. Agitators tend to be removed in one way or another, therefore any teacher wishing to stay employed may skew their choices for survivability sake.

So each case needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis as to the nature of the poll and the ability of the respondents.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #52
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekgreg View Post
if today's parents had 1/10th of the interest in their children's education that they have in their facebook page, they might know why their children are learning next to nothing. If parents were involved in education, "no child left behind" would never have been passed. Parents today want to off-load as much parenting as they possibly can on anyone else, then blame the other person when their child is sub-standard.

"no child left behind" (nclb) is very simple: Slow the entire class down to the dumbest kid. Yes, i said it. In a class of students, there will be a smartest child, there will be a dumbest child, and every other student will fall somewhere in-between. So some brilliant person decided to pander to the lowest common denominator with nclb so that no parent had to be told that their child was not smart enough to keep up with the class, the student didn't have to fail the class and repeat, and the school did not have to pay an extra teacher (or two or three) to handle remedial classes for the under-preforming students.

What no one seems to realize is that means 95% of the class is being under-educated for the sake of the dumbest few. And before anyone has a hissy fit, i'm not using "dumb" in a derogatory sense. I'm using it in the "less intelligent" sense, such as the dumbing down of america, as i was born with a weak pc gene. If parents had analyzed this, they should've screamed bloody murder before letting them pass nclb. We are already behind 14 other nations in education - the last thing we need is to slow down even further.

But this is another feel-good legislation that everyone patted themselves on the back for passing and every child in america suffered for without their parents doing a damn thing. So i say every parent is fully responsible for this educational tragedy. Too many parents don't want to address their child's disability or don't care if the entire class is held back for the sake of their child's "self-esteem."

for the parents and teachers that are involved in making sure their children are educated properly, to the schools that still offer remedial classes and teachers to man them, and to those that make sure the highly intelligent are not penalized, i salute you and do not include you in this.

Go ahead - flame away. The truth usually angers those who are guilty.
^^^ QFT ^^^

12345678910a

Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #53

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tsmith View Post
I'd think these guys should get a rousing shout out and Atta-boy .....
We had some interesting times in Canada, too, when front line officers spoke up contrary to the pro gun control claims of their politico-cop bosses. Those front line officers (and the rest of us) prevailed but it cost some of them a promotion.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #54
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

Flame? Why would anyone flame the truth?

Well, Thanks, Doc! Your response was more charitable than I expected the first one to be.

By the way, I sympathize with the plight of your grand daughter. I was asked by my daughter's teacher to QUIT teaching her at home because she was too far ahead of the other students (6th grade reading level in 1st grade) and it was taxing on the teacher. I informed the teacher and principal that I would send advanced lessons with her to remove the demand on the teacher to teach, but she would NEVER stop being educated in my home. I was not well-liked in the school district.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #55
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

^^^ QFT ^^^

12345678910a
Tex, I was unfamiliar with this acronym, and thought it might be, "Quit F'ing Talking," so I had to look it up...

Thank you!