Police survey on gun laws - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police survey on gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
So you would rather listen to the teachers opinion about education reform and not the kids parents, who by the way are wondering why their 16 year old can't read at the 3rd grade level? From your reply you probably think the doctors would know a lot more about Obamacare than the dozens of people out in the ER waiting room, or the people that have to drive hundreds of miles to get seen by a doctor that takes their insurance.
You want to know why kids are in high school and can't read? Because of "No Child Left Behind". That POS program really screwed up the school system. Most teachers will agree with that. Also, schools aren't focusing on what they need to.

Many schools have some kind of state test at the end of the year, and that's the only thing they focus on for the entire school year. Through school, I heard teachers complain about the TAKS test constantly.

They said that they could get SO MUCH more done if they didn't have to deal with it, and they are absolutely correct. They are being forced to focus on that stupid test instead of actually teaching students and getting them to learn what they actually need.

Listen to the parents? Most of them don't know/don't care anything about the school as long as their kid passes. Zombiegirl can probably attest to that. IIRC, she has talked about trying to talk to kids parents NUMEROUS times but never getting too.

If the teachers were allowed to teach what they actually need to teach, the school system would be a hell of a lot better than it is.

Also, whose to say that the parents aren't partially responsible for their kids failing? I graduated with honors because my mother stayed on my ass about getting good grades the entire time I was in school. Some people who were taking the same classes I was, with the same teacher, were failing. You can't blame the teacher for that.

Quote:
Let's stick with Obamacare for a minute. How are you going to explain to all the waiters and waitresses that they now must buy health insurance? How are you going to explain to them that they will have to give up some of the little luxuries like food, clothing, transportation and shelter? Remember, these people don't even make standard minimum wage. Oh, wait. You think the doctors making what they make know more about the effect of Obamacare on the people than the server staff does.
Most doctors are against Obamacare for several reasons. That is one of them. Obamacare was drafted by politicians, not doctors. Had the doctors had their way, there would be no Obamacare.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

So are you saying that because the doctors and teachers are heavily biased it would skew the poll? Hmm. How about that.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
So are you saying that because the doctors and teachers are heavily biased it would skew the poll? Hmm. How about that.
No, I'm saying that the vast majority of them know what the hell their doing, and politicians, parents, ect DON'T.

By your logic, if I asked a mechanic what he thinks is wrong with my car, his answer would be biased, BUT if I ask some random guy on the street what's wrong with it, well, that would be ok.

You know what the result of that would probably be? I'd spend a lot of money doing what the random guy said to do, but the car would still be broken. Hmm, doesn't that sound familiar to our countries current problems?

Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #44

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I graduated with honors because my mother stayed on my ass about getting good grades the entire time I was in school. Some people who were taking the same classes I was, with the same teacher, were failing. You can't blame the teacher for that.
x2. For me, it was 6"4" father with no wrists and almost no neck.

However, as an ex-teacher I can also confirm that our idolizing of mediocrity does not help students these days, either....and did not exist when I was plodding through school.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #45

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

From my general contact with leo's(five in my family over the years and about two dozen personally)I had always believed that they were discouraged from any public policy statements or statements contrary to department policy and guidelines and in many cases threatened or coerced by department policy against any interaction at all outside the locker room,coffee room or union hall.

Maybe the larger question is why out of a group of 450,000+,only 15,000 felt confident,secure or courageous enough to voluntarily take the poll.Considering that OBUMMER gets to line up his forced,often department ordered "Photo-Op-Cops",and career anti-gun gold braided "Perfumed Princes of Activist Chiefdom"from NY,CALIF.,MASS.,CONN.,NJ.,IL.,MD.,DC...etc.,I'd think these guys should get a rousing shout out and Atta-boy instead of being thrashed like a bunch of wet mutts tracking up the kitchen floor.And by the way,how would you like to be the left wing loon selected to discount 15,000 rank and file patrol officers that think your gun control,anti-rights policy is crap in your hat or between your ears?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tsmith View Post
From my general contact with leo's(five in my family over the years and about two dozen personally)I had always believed that they were discouraged from any public policy statements or statements contrary to department policy and guidelines and in many cases threatened or coerced by department policy against any interaction at all outside the locker room,coffee room or union hall.

Maybe the larger question is why out of a group of 450,000+,only 15,000 felt confident,secure or courageous enough to voluntarily take the poll.Considering that OBUMMER gets to line up his forced,often department ordered "Photo-Op-Cops",and career anti-gun gold braided "Perfumed Princes of Activist Chiefdom"from NY,CALIF.,MASS.,CONN.,NJ.,IL.,MD.,DC...etc.,I'd think these guys should get a rousing shout out and Atta-boy instead of being thrashed like a bunch of wet mutts tracking up the kitchen floor.And by the way,how would you like to be the left wing loon selected to discount 15,000 rank and file patrol officers that think your gun control,anti-rights policy is crap in your hat or between your ears?

What you say is true. I was persecuted because I spoke up. Just one comment though. If they were a member of union they were not LEO's, they were union members. The two are DIRECT OPPOSITES. You can not be both. Unions are nothing more than legalized organized crime, so you can't be a member of a criminal organization and claim to a LEO too. When they tried to unionizes our department I and many others pointed this out and only about 10% supported the effort.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #47
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

"1.) Virtually all respondents (95 percent) say that a federal ban on manufacture and sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would not reduce violent crime."

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #48

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
What you say is true. I was persecuted because I spoke up. Just one comment though. If they were a member of union they were not LEO's, they were union members. The two are DIRECT OPPOSITES. You can not be both. Unions are nothing more than legalized organized crime, so you can't be a member of a criminal organization and claim to a LEO too. When they tried to unionizes our department I and many others pointed this out and only about 10% supported the effort.
Please don't poke me with that union stick and get me going on fat cat local bosses with illegal cigars,new high end cars and mob bosses dropping buy to pick up the cash.
Guess I always figured most LEO's had to join to get along.(at least in the big urb's and suburbs)

Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #49
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Also, whose to say that the parents aren't partially responsible for their kids failing?
If today's parents had 1/10th of the interest in their children's education that they have in their Facebook page, they might know why their children are learning next to nothing. If parents were involved in education, "No Child Left Behind" would never have been passed. Parents today want to off-load as much parenting as they possibly can on ANYONE else, then blame the other person when their child is sub-standard.

"No Child Left Behind" (NCLB) is very simple: slow the entire class down to the dumbest kid. Yes, I said it. In a class of students, there will be a smartest child, there will be a dumbest child, and every other student will fall somewhere in-between. So some brilliant person decided to pander to the lowest common denominator with NCLB so that no parent had to be told that their child was not smart enough to keep up with the class, the student didn't have to fail the class and repeat, and the school did not have to pay an extra teacher (or two or three) to handle remedial classes for the under-preforming students.

What no one seems to realize is that means 95% of the class is being under-educated for the sake of the dumbest few. And before anyone has a hissy fit, I'm not using "dumb" in a derogatory sense. I'm using it in the "less intelligent" sense, such as the dumbing down of America, as I was born with a weak PC gene. If parents had analyzed this, they should've screamed bloody murder before letting them pass NCLB. We are already behind 14 other NATIONS in education - the last thing we need is to slow down even further.

But this is another feel-good legislation that everyone patted themselves on the back for passing and EVERY child in America suffered for without their parents doing a damn thing. So I say every parent is fully responsible for this educational tragedy. Too many parents don't want to address their child's disability or don't care if the entire class is held back for the sake of their child's "self-esteem."

For the parents and teachers that are involved in making sure their children are educated properly, to the schools that still offer remedial classes and teachers to man them, and to those that make sure the highly intelligent are not penalized, I salute you and do not include you in this.

Go ahead - Flame away. The truth usually angers those who are guilty.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Go ahead - Flame away. The truth usually angers those who are guilty.
Flame? Why would anyone flame the truth?

Do you have any idea how many kids can't count back change from a dollar? This is why they close the fast food stores when the registers go down. They can open the till easy enough, but the high school students they have working there don't have the math skills needed to add up a bill and count the change back. Heck, look at their literacy skills. They don't know the difference between your, you're, and yore, so everything comes out your, or worse yet, ur. Their usage of there, their, and they're is another good example. My granddaughter is in the third grade. She is reading at the third grade level, which coincidentally is the same level she was reading at before she went to school. Don't get me started on the public school system. Public education is an oxymoron.

By the way, if someone thinks their opinion is important enough to post, they should take the time and do it right. Capitalize, use punctuation, and at least attempt to spell correctly. When I see a post that doesn't do all three, I don't read it. If you don't think your opinion is important enough to write it properly, I don't either. In other words, dont bring ur txt habit 2 a forum if u expect me 2 luk @ it.