Police survey on gun laws - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police survey on gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
The web site Police One did quite an extensive survey of officers regarding gun laws and crime. Police are largely in favor of armed citizens.

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6183787-PoliceOnes-Gun-Control-Survey-11-key-lessons-from-officers-perspectives/
the Banners would probably say something like "Yeah, well what do they know anyhow."

Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Jim

That makes you an HONORABLE LEO.

Much Respect.

Tack
+1 Jim, you are a hero in my book.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
the Banners would probably say something like "Yeah, well what do they know anyhow."
You mean like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
What would you expect? Cops, in general, are some of the most conservative people in the country. (Not many hippie cops out there)

You would find very similar results if you polled the military.

Run this poll with college professors and you would get the opposite results. Neither poll would be a valid reflection of the general population of the nation.

As I said in another post: With a poll, if you target your audience, you get what you ask for.

The only polls that are valid are conducted on election day, in the voting booth. The results are taken from a large pool; a cross-section of the nation.
Yeah, what do cops know? After all, they just go out on the streets and deal with this stuff every day. They don't know anything about guns, or what would/wouldn't work. Now, a liberal politician on the other hand would. After all, they get all their info from other politicians. They definetly know what will and will not work.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #34

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
So, you don't think the police and military would know what would and wouldn't work seeing how THEY are the ones having to deal with it on the streets and in a war zone?

Ok, I'm just going to come out and say it. You have posed several posts in recent months that lead me to believe that you truly are anti gun, and you just don't care about anyones' rights. I have a strong feeling that's exactly what you are.

You have been defending the left, even when they are attacking the 2nd Amendment without any facts. You have made it very clear that you support bans on high capacity magazines, and universal background checks. I have a feeling you may support a ban on ARs and AKs too.
I am not anti-gun, I am anti ignorance. I am a shooter, collector and firearm trainer. Not likely I am against my favorite hobby. I certainly care about my rights.

I own an AK, and a box full of 30 round magazines........Universal background checks are stupid because it would be impossible to enact without universal gun registration.

I am to the left of most of the members here, that is no news. I think it is important that there be alternative voices, even in gun forums. Otherwise all the conversation is intellectual masturbation.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I am not anti-gun, I am anti ignorance. I am a shooter, collector and firearm trainer. Not likely I am against my favorite hobby. I certainly care about my rights.

I own an AK, and a box full of 30 round magazines........Universal background checks are stupid because it would be impossible to enact without universal gun registration.

I am to the left of most of the members here, that is no news. I think it is important that there be alternative voices, even in gun forums. Otherwise all the conversation is intellectual masturbation.
Several of your posts before this one sounded like you supported everything the Dems wanted. You actually criticized a poll that interviewed 15,000 LEOs. Really? They are some of the best people to ask when it comes to gun laws, because the are the ones who have to deal with it on a daily basis.

You also stated late last year that if the majority want something, we should just accept it. Where in the Bill of Rights does it say that the majority rules? The Bill of rights was designed to protect the minority from the majority, and the majority from the minority. Luckily, the majority was fighting for our rights this time.

The question is, had every antigun bill passed, and had Obama signed them into law, would you have voted for him again if you had the chance?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
You actually criticized a poll that interviewed 15,000 LEOs. Really?
I do, too. It is a heavily biased sample. Would you ask 15,000 doctors what they thought about Obama care and accept it as gospel? How about asking 15,000 teachers what their opinion is on education reform? To think that any heavily biased group represents the will of the people is ludicrous. Do I side with the cops, yes I do, but not because they are cops, and not because of the poll results.

Look, cops favor an armed citizen. Great. So what's the point? What do you want them to do next, poll cops to find out whether Krispy Kreme is health food?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I do, too. It is a heavily biased sample. Would you ask 15,000 doctors what they thought about Obama care and accept it as gospel? How about asking 15,000 teachers what their opinion is on education reform? To think that any heavily biased group represents the will of the people is ludicrous. Do I side with the cops, yes I do, but not because they are cops, and not because of the poll results.

Look, cops favor an armed citizen. Great. So what's the point? What do you want them to do next, poll cops to find out whether Krispy Kreme is health food?
Well excuse me for thinking that police will know whats needed to stop crime, doctors will know whats needed to take care of people, and that teachers will know whats needed to make students learn more. Your right, let's just listen to the politicians and the people who have ZERO experience in any of these fields.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Well excuse me for thinking that police will know whats needed to stop crime, doctors will know whats needed to take care of people, and that teachers will know whats needed to make students learn more. Your right, let's just listen to the politicians and the people who have ZERO experience in any of these fields.
So you would rather listen to the teachers opinion about education reform and not the kids parents, who by the way are wondering why their 16 year old can't read at the 3rd grade level? From your reply you probably think the doctors would know a lot more about Obamacare than the dozens of people out in the ER waiting room, or the people that have to drive hundreds of miles to get seen by a doctor that takes their insurance.

Let's stick with Obamacare for a minute. How are you going to explain to all the waiters and waitresses that they now must buy health insurance? How are you going to explain to them that they will have to give up some of the little luxuries like food, clothing, transportation and shelter? Remember, these people don't even make standard minimum wage. Oh, wait. You think the doctors making what they make know more about the effect of Obamacare on the people than the server staff does.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #39

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

I think the "relevant" part of the LEO poll is that it completely shatters the "public perception" that Officers support more restrictions. Every time some ass hat Chief of Police steps on stage next to his Libtard Mayor, the "sheeple" say... oh... well if it's to Protect Cops... then ok.

This poll counter acts that myth.

I think most of us also recognize that a Cop's "opinion" on this topic is less likely to be tainted by his union or his boss. This is life and death for LEO's... if they thought more gun control would mean less LEO funeral processions, the poll would heavily lean in the other direction.

Teachers on the other hand, pretty much march lock step with there union and it's all about the benni's... "for most of them"... so, no, I would not be interested in the results of there poll on education.

Doctors however, do have a pretty good understanding of Obama Care and in my experience, universally hate it. Being the "responsible" party for all matters concerning my Mother, I spend a considerable amount of time taking her to her appointments, sit in on all of them, and have asked this question of her:

Primary Care Physician
Oncologist
Endocrinologist
Pain Management Dr.
... there's two others that escape me at the moment but... you see my point.

I would also trust a poll of the Military if we could get "boots on the ground" grunts to express there thoughts on winning in Afcrapistan... but I'm pretty sure I already know that answer.

Tack

Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I think the "relevant" part of the LEO poll is that it completely shatters the "public perception" that Officers support more restrictions.
Agreed. It does make me wonder if their opinions would change if there was still enough money to budget two officers per car. With budget cuts there are going to be times when the armed citizen will be the only backup out there, especially in the more rural areas.

Quote:
I think most of us also recognize that a Cop's "opinion" on this topic is less likely to be tainted by his union or his boss. This is life and death for LEO's... if they thought more gun control would mean less LEO funeral processions, the poll would heavily lean in the other direction.
That and they're smart enough to realize career criminals don't obey gun laws now, so why bother.