Police survey on gun laws
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police survey on gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Police survey on gun laws

The web site Police One did quite an extensive survey of officers regarding gun laws and crime. Police are largely in favor of armed citizens.

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6183787-PoliceOnes-Gun-Control-Survey-11-key-lessons-from-officers-perspectives/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

Police took an oath to defend the Constitution.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6576 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 6225

No surprises there.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #4

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I'm not suprised. I know quite a few cops and most of them a pro-gun as well as pro concealed carry. Hurray for our courageous men and women in blue!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

This survey supports what I have been saying for years. There was even more support in years past, but still most cops support an armed public. I would guess most of the lack of support comes from urban and union officers!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 402 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 602

The ones that get all the press are the FOP, Association of Police Chiefs, and other liberal LEO groups that generally call the NE home.
Most LEO's I know in the real world want to see armed civilians around them.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #7

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The working police officer knows once the citizens are disarmed they are next. Most police organizations both Federal, State and local labor under more ridiculous rules than the average civilian gun owner.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjam View Post
Police took an oath to defend the Constitution.
If I remember correctly, the Florida oath is to "protect uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States and of Florida;" Simple, right? Well, there's a catch. the very next sentence of a police officer's oath reads

"I will faithfully perform my duties, enforcing the law fairly with all due courtesy, discretion, and compassion;"

This presents a real dilemma for a sworn officer in our state. In order to uphold both the US and Florida constitutions he has to be derelict in his duties to enforce the law. He freely took an oath with all good intention, but in order to perform his first duty he has to be selective about the second.

When I got into law enforcement I thought I was entering a black and white world. If it's the law, I would enforce it. It didn't take long for me to realize there are so many subtle shades of gray involved that I didn't belong in this calling. I was young, I was inexperienced, and I was too compassionate for my own good. I frequently found myself doing things I had a moral problem with because the law said I had to do them. I lasted two years.

I was very fortunate to witness something on a wreck call one night that redirected my public service to EMS where shades of gray not only worked, but were encouraged. I went from 'this is the law... enforce it' to 'this is what the book says... do what works' and I loved it.

As things stand today, I would never consider wasting the two years I spent as a LEO. We are getting to the point where it is impossible for a LEO to live up to his/her oath, and if you are going to ask me to swear an oath it needs to be something I firmly believe I can accomplish. With all the contradictions involved at the federal, state. and local levels I couldn't take that oath in good faith.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Nice links! The only ones who will be surprised by this are the closet LE haters on here.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6576 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 6225

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454 View Post
Nice links! The only ones who will be surprised by this are the closet LE haters on here.

And there are a lot of them.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill