Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Police survey on gun laws (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/police-survey-gun-laws-88505/)

JWagner 04-09-2013 06:37 PM

Police survey on gun laws

The web site Police One did quite an extensive survey of officers regarding gun laws and crime. Police are largely in favor of armed citizens.

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6183787-PoliceOnes-Gun-Control-Survey-11-key-lessons-from-officers-perspectives/

philjam 04-09-2013 07:21 PM

Police took an oath to defend the Constitution.

locutus 04-09-2013 09:20 PM

No surprises there. :)

Warrior1256 04-09-2013 11:24 PM

I'm not suprised. I know quite a few cops and most of them a pro-gun as well as pro concealed carry. Hurray for our courageous men and women in blue!

JimRau 04-10-2013 12:28 AM

This survey supports what I have been saying for years. There was even more support in years past, but still most cops support an armed public. I would guess most of the lack of support comes from urban and union officers!:)

RJMercer 04-10-2013 01:51 AM

The ones that get all the press are the FOP, Association of Police Chiefs, and other liberal LEO groups that generally call the NE home.
Most LEO's I know in the real world want to see armed civilians around them.

nitestalker 04-10-2013 02:00 AM

The working police officer knows once the citizens are disarmed they are next. Most police organizations both Federal, State and local labor under more ridiculous rules than the average civilian gun owner.

Doc3402 04-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philjam (Post 1208653)
Police took an oath to defend the Constitution.

If I remember correctly, the Florida oath is to "protect uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States and of Florida;" Simple, right? Well, there's a catch. the very next sentence of a police officer's oath reads

"I will faithfully perform my duties, enforcing the law fairly with all due courtesy, discretion, and compassion;"

This presents a real dilemma for a sworn officer in our state. In order to uphold both the US and Florida constitutions he has to be derelict in his duties to enforce the law. He freely took an oath with all good intention, but in order to perform his first duty he has to be selective about the second.

When I got into law enforcement I thought I was entering a black and white world. If it's the law, I would enforce it. It didn't take long for me to realize there are so many subtle shades of gray involved that I didn't belong in this calling. I was young, I was inexperienced, and I was too compassionate for my own good. I frequently found myself doing things I had a moral problem with because the law said I had to do them. I lasted two years.

I was very fortunate to witness something on a wreck call one night that redirected my public service to EMS where shades of gray not only worked, but were encouraged. I went from 'this is the law... enforce it' to 'this is what the book says... do what works' and I loved it.

As things stand today, I would never consider wasting the two years I spent as a LEO. We are getting to the point where it is impossible for a LEO to live up to his/her oath, and if you are going to ask me to swear an oath it needs to be something I firmly believe I can accomplish. With all the contradictions involved at the federal, state. and local levels I couldn't take that oath in good faith.

j4454 04-10-2013 09:55 AM

Nice links! The only ones who will be surprised by this are the closet LE haters on here.

locutus 04-10-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j4454 (Post 1209322)
Nice links! The only ones who will be surprised by this are the closet LE haters on here.

And there are a lot of them.:(