Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Police shootings in Northern Calif. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/police-shootings-northern-calif-50732/)

widowmaker 10-28-2011 06:47 PM

Police shootings in Northern Calif.

In the last six weeks or so there have been three officer involved shootings in Shasta county. I will admit that they did seem justified but in one case there were something like 40 shots fired at the bad guy , hitting him around 9times. (I may be off one the numbers a little.)

In the last 3 days there have been two shootings involving Shasta County Sheriff Deputies.
Just seems to me they are a little quicker to shoot than they used to be.
I'm not trying to hammer on LEO's but it does make you wonder who is in charge of training.
Have you noticed that the police in larger cities look more like a dynamic entry team than street cops?

Just wondering.

JD1969 10-28-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widowmaker (Post 613308)
In the last six weeks or so there have been three officer involved shootings in Shasta county. I will admit that they did seem justified but in one case there were something like 40 shots fired at the bad guy , hitting him around 9times. (I may be off one the numbers a little.)

In the last 3 days there have been two shootings involving Shasta County Sheriff Deputies.
I'm not trying to hammer on LEO's but it does make you wonder who is in charge of training.
Have you noticed that the police in larger cities look more like a dynamic entry team than street cops?

Just wondering.

I have not noticed that. Chicago beat cops look pretty much the same as they have for the last 11 years. I am sure there are some that have a "tactical" look but my bet is they are in the ghetto and there is good reason. As far as the shootings in Cali, I can't really comment as I have not read up on them, however, if the bad guy had had a weapon, IMO he got he deserved. When a bad guy picks up a gun (or only weapon) IMO his rights go out the window.

robocop10mm 10-28-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Just wondering.

The cops is only one common denominator in the equation. What about the bad guys? Have they peaked their style? Northern Cali is known for Meth. If there is a crack down on Meth, then there is additional pressure on the goblins. They may be more quick to act, forcing the officer's hands.

When an officer is involved in a shooting (or gets shot) others in the area are more antsy. This trend may go on for a bit until the cops and the robbers calm down.

New York PD has a large anti-terrorist unit (about 1000 officers or of the total of oer 40,0000). They have been in the news lately. Just because the largest city in the US is dealing with the terrosist threat in a very visible manner has nothing to do with the average officer across the country or even in other major cities. Thinking otherwise is kind of like saying that all black people are getting more violent because you see a bunch of gangsta rap videos.

Jeepergeo 10-28-2011 11:46 PM

9 out of 40 Hits Par for Many Police Departments

Quote:

Keep in mind that many, but not all, cops have very little shooting time, much less than many civilian gun owners.

On that famous 1998 North Hollywood shoot out, I have heard, but have not been able to conclusively verify (yep, police department is probably ashamed of the numbers), that something like 2,000 rounds were shot by the police with less than a dozen hitting home on the bad guys. Even it it were just 25% of the rounds fired and a 1,000% increase it hits it would have still been too many misses, with each miss endangering the public.

It's bad enough to get shot by a bad guy, it is downright horrible to get hit by a cop's wildly fired bullet.

Hollywood Shootout Video, Situation Critical - National Geographic Channel - Canada

robocop10mm 10-29-2011 03:12 AM

That is absolutely true. Actual hit ratio is dismal. Look at the hit ratio of our troops in combat though. Not really any better. There are not many "gunfighters" in this world. Police officers are not trained to the level of Navy Seals or SAS troopers. Misses happen far too often.

robocop10mm 10-29-2011 03:16 AM

Numbers I have seen are 87,000 rounds expended/enemy kill in Vietnam.

250,000 rounds/enemy kill in Afganistan.

LE is dismal at less that 15%, but really? 1/87,000? I doubt the people would accept such a ratio for LE.