Police sell "buyback" guns to dealers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police sell "buyback" guns to dealers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: tucson,arizona
Posts: 512
Liked 194 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default Police sell "buyback" guns to dealers

In what seems like a rational decision, police will sell guns from a buyback program to gun dealers. Money talks, it seems. (This is already law in AZ)

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/05/31/Police-selling-guns-from-buyback-program/UPI-64641370015272/

__________________
JWagner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stoppingpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 379
Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Hmmm don't they need ffl

__________________
stoppingpower is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

I am glad the firearms aren't being destroyed. I am confused about the cash flow situation though. Where did the buyback money come from, and where will the sales proceeds for the firearms bought back go? If the buyback funds were from the city/department and the sales proceeds will replenish the funds of the city/department, then I am A-OK with this redistribution of unwanted firearms. Nobody should be required to own/hold/keep firearms they don't want, IMO (except that Mr. Glock should be required to carry one of his 2x4's everywhere he goes, even the crapper). Alternatively, if the buyback funds were raised by the community particularly for that purpose, the sales proceeds should be returned to that community in some direct way (free snow cones, perpetually burning Bill of Rights statue in their park, whatever).

Now, on the off chance that the funds came from some Bloomerberger project or grant, well I can only hope the local constabulary will put those sales proceeds to good use.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,750
Liked 1132 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I am glad the firearms aren't being destroyed. I am confused about the cash flow situation though. Where did the buyback money come from, and where will the sales proceeds for the firearms bought back go? If the buyback funds were from the city/department and the sales proceeds will replenish the funds of the city/department, then I am A-OK with this redistribution of unwanted firearms. Nobody should be required to own/hold/keep firearms they don't want, IMO (except that Mr. Glock should be required to carry one of his 2x4's everywhere he goes, even the crapper). Alternatively, if the buyback funds were raised by the community particularly for that purpose, the sales proceeds should be returned to that community in some direct way (free snow cones, perpetually burning Bill of Rights statue in their park, whatever).

Now, on the off chance that the funds came from some Bloomerberger project or grant, well I can only hope the local constabulary will put those sales proceeds to good use.
Buddy its all a big circle jerk here in IL. THEY ARE BROKE and trying their best to scrape up more $$$$. Our IL. government is standing here with their hand out 24/7
__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 615
Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Default

Let me make sure I understand this...They have "Gun Buy Backs" supposedly to get firearms out of circulation, then they sell these guns to firearms dealers who in turn sell these firearms back to the public....sounds logical to me.

__________________
Warrior1256 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,750
Liked 1132 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
Let me make sure I understand this...They have "Gun Buy Backs" supposedly to get firearms out of circulation, then they sell these guns to firearms dealers who in turn sell these firearms back to the public....sounds logical to me.
Yup that's just part of the circle jerk I'm talking about
__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,077
Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default

This is BS...

We already have massive corruption driven by LE Organizations ability to proffit from siezed property... Now they get to proffit from buy back property?

Allowing a government department to pad it's budget by selling property it seized or bought from the public incentivized police misconduct.

Dealers and private citizens have taken to stakng out buy back locations and offering real money to people who have no idea the value of what there about to hand in for a $50 gift card.

How long do we thinks Cops will allow this once they've created their own incentive to rip people off?

Tack

__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
indy36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 724
Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts

Default

What if some people turned in unwanted guns and had no idea what they had? What if, out if ALL the guns that were turned in, there were like 4 that were rare, like really rare? What if the people inventorying the haul later go, "Holy crap! Look at this!"? What if it's just wrong to destroy something so rare or beautiful? And what if those 4 guns are sold to a dealer? So that they can live on and be appreciated by decent people? Is that wrong? And then what if an 'anti-gun' reporter caught wind and wrote a story that 'police departments were profiting from gun buy back programs' and 'putting guns back on the street'? Is that what's happening here?

__________________
indy36 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,667
Liked 6321 Times on 3154 Posts
Likes Given: 6789

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
What if some people turned in unwanted guns and had no idea what they had? What if, out if ALL the guns that were turned in, there were like 4 that were rare, like really rare? What if the people inventorying the haul later go, "Holy crap! Look at this!"? What if it's just wrong to destroy something so rare or beautiful? And what if those 4 guns are sold to a dealer? So that they can live on and be appreciated by decent people? Is that wrong? And then what if an 'anti-gun' reporter caught wind and wrote a story that 'police departments were profiting from gun buy back programs' and 'putting guns back on the street'? Is that what's happening here?
Shortly after my grandfather the Coronal died, my grandmother turned in his pristine ww2 service pistol, 1911 (Circa 1942) to the Alb NM Police department. That made me sad, she didnt think "anyone would want that old thing"; my guess is its in someones collection now, wish it was mine...
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
DrFootball Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,077
Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Shortly after my grandfather the Coronal died, my grandmother turned in his pristine ww2 service pistol, 1911 (Circa 1942) to the Alb NM Police department. That made me sad, she didnt think "anyone would want that old thing"; my guess is its in someones collection now, wish it was mine...
Last year some woman turned in her fathers war trophy MP 44 "Strumgwever"!

Fortunately she'd left her name and an honest Cop recognized what it was. Last I heard it was being sold to a "collector" with the proceeded going to the woman who turned it in.

My problem with buy backs is exactly what happened to Web...

Upon my fathers death, his remaining 3 guns when into my safe over Mom's objections. No way I was going to allow my dads guns to land in a pawn shop or a LIBTARD Spokane buy back... Which would have happened.

Older women loose there husbands, have big hospital bills, and pawn or sell **** out of panic.

In these trying family times... It's upto sons to secure the firearms for the Familly and protect them from this fate.

My will is in a safe deposit box, contained a rider giving my eldest son 100% control on the distribution of my guns... and he's the only other person with the Combo to my safe.

I do love my wife... But when it comes to making sure the guns my children grew up enjoying remain in the Familly...I trust "only" my Sons.

Tack
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Arizona Will Sell Guns Obtained in a Gun Buyback Daoust_Nat Legal and Activism 5 04-19-2013 07:26 AM
Pro-Self Defense Sheriff Apologizes for "Embarrassing" Police Chief Testimony John_Deer Legal and Activism 5 03-07-2013 11:28 PM
"Hello Kitty" Appeals to the ladies, but concerns police theskunk1946 General Handgun Discussion 6 04-26-2011 03:33 AM
Ken Hurst? Engraved VA State Police-"1 0f 1" dursur General Handgun Discussion 13 05-26-2010 01:26 AM
"The Police Have the Power to Suspend Your Rights" opaww Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 06-29-2009 09:45 AM